In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6MM Rem Factory Round Bullet Weights

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
I'm sorting through some old ammo that I'm prepping to sell on the auction side. I have some loose factory-loaded 6MM Remington rounds that I accumulated over the years in the late 60s or early 70s from boxes that only had 1 or 2 rounds remaining. Again, these cartridges are 6mm Rem, not 244 Rem. All bear the "R-P" headstamp and most are 100 Gr PSP Core-Lokt rounds. The rest are loaded with slightly shorter bullets than the 100 Gr rounds, but for the life of me I can't remember what weight they are. The bullets appear to be standard Core-Lokt rounds, but unlike the 100 Gr bullets, these bullets bear an engraved ring about 1/8" forward of the case lip. Seems to me I remember them being either 90, 87, or 80 Gr bullets, but I can't find any information about vintage 60/70s-era 6mm Rem cartridges on line. Does anyone out there remember what bullet weights Remington loaded in the 6mm Rem back in the late 60s and early 70s?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1971 RP listed 80 and 100 gr bullets in 6mm Rem.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    70, 75, 80, 85, 87, 90, 95, 100 and 105's(RN) The former all being spitzers or soft points.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All that many in factory loads?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse

Nope.
    When Remington brought out the .244, it was in 75 grains and 90 grains.
    When they renamed it the 6mm, 80 and 100 grains were the norm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun

Nope.

Factory loads or Remington factory loads. I've shot all of these at one point or another as factory loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    quote:Originally posted by babun

Nope.

Factory loads or Remington factory loads. I've shot all of these at one point or another as factory loads.

"""All bear the "R-P" headstamp"""

I'm sure since 1955 or so, there were "factories" that made every thing under the sun in 6mm size.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They've been making 6mm since the turn of the last century when the 6mm Lee-Navy came into being. The lighter bullet designs that did not get used there went to 6mm Rem's and .243's.

It is true that the vast majority of factory loads came down to the standardized ones mentioned. Remington wanted to appease the market. As usual, they miss the mark with no idea what people want. Or, how to tell them what they might want. So, they left it with the best sellers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just wonder what the .257 Roberts could have been without being hamstrung by silly legends and the gimmick 6mm whatevers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just wonder what the .257 Roberts could have been without being hamstrung by silly legends and the gimmick 6mm whatevers.

You mean if they had started twisting their barrels in 1-8.5" So's they could not only compete, but beat the 6.5x55?

Or, not limiting the pressure so bad with the excuse that there are old Mausers out there that would blow up. Using slow powders, even for the day that would allow the 120's (130's and 140's had they twisted it right) to decent speeds.

Then again, we are talking about a gun culture here in the U.S. that killed high BC 30-06 bullets prior to WWII. Because they 'overshot our ranges'.

On the original post, you might want to weigh a Remington 6mm case and then figure about 40-45 gr. of powder and the difference would be the bullet weights...~roughly.