In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Does the "pre 64 Winchester issue apply to the 52D

Overly HackledOverly Hackled Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
It's been about 5 or 6 years since I have been on this site. I think back then I spent most of my time over on the Vietnam Vet threads.Anyhow until the last year or so my .22 firearms were standard plinker's,nothing real expensive or terribly exotic, Ruger 10/22,a Win 67, a Rem 510 single shot and a Savage 6A. I picked up a very clean and sweet Win 61 pump a while ago and that wet my appetite for higher end .22's. This has me selling my fishing gear,skipping alimony payments and thinking about getting a paper route at age 66 to have the cash to go after a Win 52D with a period Unertl or Lyman scope. Hay every body needs a dream

I have been going up a steep learning curve on the 52's and have read as many posts and threads as I can find on the site. They have been an amazing help. What a store house of knowledge.

OK so finally to my question. The issue of "pre 64" Winchesters and the changes in production values and materials I have read about ,are the 52D's that were produced from 1965 forward impacted by those concerns ? Which Winchesters were effected by the changes ? As I continue to read search and try to learn more about the 52D I 'd like to know what if any connection they have to the pre 64 issues.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide

Comments

• Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 52D's and later E's continued to be produced to the pre 64 standards, which is why they were phased out in the early 80's because of the high production costs associated with them
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    My "D" commercial is every bit as well made as my other 52's, going back to a pre "A".

I think "D"'s are the best value out there for a shooter.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When folks talk of "pre-64" I think the reference covers more than quality and goes to different design as well. Sometimes it's a combination of the two - steam pressed "checkering" may be well executed, but it's still a lousy substitute for real checkering. When I think of "pre-64" I think of excellent execution of desireable design, after 64 I think of adequate execution of a lesser design.

Not to throw too much of a curveball, but in addition to the "real" Winchester 52s there's also the Browning made Winchester 52 sporter made about 1992. Probably little to no collector value, but a well made rifle none the less, a rifle that has its value as a shooter. I grabbed one for under $500.00 last year, someone made a mistake in pricing IMO.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a tack driving 22 rifle buy an Anschutz 1413, 1411 or 1409, they will out-shoot any Win. 52 and are old school type match rifles.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The term "Pre-64" is for the most part used in conjunction with the Model 94, Model 70, Model 88, and Model 100. Nearly all other Winchester Models were discontinued prior to the year 1964.

It was the Model 94 that suffered the most during the transition from the pre-1964 production methods and material to the post-1963 era. The Model 70 was the next on the list.
  • Options
    Overly HackledOverly Hackled Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thanks to all of you for the great answers to my "Pre 64 52 D" question. I'm certain it has been said often and bettter than I can say it but what an amazing wealth of information from folks who love rim fires and are willing to gladly share there knowledge and experience on this site is.
    I have taken the plunge and picked up a 1965 52D with a 14X Urentl scope mounted to it. The bluing is very good and the wood has a nice straight grain and is in nice condition. Yes I paid more for it than anything that will give me more pleasure other than the fee I had to pay my divorce attorney. But it is paid for in full and won't keep after me for more money.
    I very much look forward to using ,enjoying and learning from the site and it's members as I continue on my mission to spens down my kids inheritance money on .22 rifles .
    Thanks again to all