In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1873 Marking Question

critter3030critter3030 Member Posts: 29
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum so please bear with me as I try to get through this. I've recently purchased an 1873, serial no. 173317 and I'm trying to figure out what I've got. Of particular interest is a star that is engraved onto the brass lifter above the 44 Cal. I've had no luck finding what this indicates. The guns in decent shape and was checkered at some point. The checkering is very worn and doesn't seem like something Winchester would have done. I've ordered the Cody letter but it sounds like it may be awhile before it arrives. I'm hoping that maybe Bert H. can help me on this one as he seems to be the guru of such things. I'm not sure how to post pictures but I'd gladly do it if I can figure out the process. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would help us all, just a little bit, if we knew what 1873 you are asking about.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it might help even more if Mr 3030 posted photos of his 1873.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He referencing the loading block, on the bottom of 1873 Winchesters. Like this one.

1873-winchester-44-wcf-6.jpg
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the little bit of information we have to go on, and the possible "non-factory" checkering" my guess is it's an after market engraving.
    I hope I'm terribly wrong!!
    Please post quality photos showing as much detail as possible.
    Thanks,
    Ed
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make a junk mail account before you open a photobucket account. Then load your pics to your pb account. Then follow the directions in the sticky above.

Picture_00557.jpg

Must be a Texas Winchester.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hang in there with me. I'm in the process of posting some pictures. Sorry for any confusion. Rufe-snow is correct, the star is located on the brass lifter of a Winchester 1873 just above the "44 cal".
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the star in that location is for a particular Winchester employee designating he did work on that part of the assembly. There isn't a J.P.P. around there or near the serial number is there?
  • Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was it a professional engraving, hand carved or a stamp? I've been collecting 73's for many years and have never come across a star on the elevator or anywhere else on outside of the gun. At times a very small star is stamped during the manufacturing process under the barrel or on the side of the bolt. Many Winchester were decorated while sitting around the camp fire or in the cabin on a cold winter night.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Picture_00557.jpg

Hope this works. If not I'll try again. Thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think that is a factory marking. Consistent with your non-factory checkering, my guess is it's an old user applied decoration and part of the history of your unique gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Picture_01827.jpg

OK. At least I think I'm getting the picture thing figured out. Here's one more picture of the marking. I really appreciate all the information you guys are providing. I didn't pay a lot for the gun and mostly just want to learn more about it. I'm fascinated by the history of these things. Every nick and scratch tells a story. The front sight has also been worked on. Maybe I'll attach another photo and you can tell me what they were trying to accomplish. The bore is suprisingly good. I've shot it and everything functions fine. The accuracy, well not so great so far. The bore slugged out at .4315 so I think some custom bullet casting may be in order. Other than the checkering and the front sight it looks like it hasn't been messed with. Thanks again for your input.
  • Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, its was engraved just as a decoration. Its always worth your while to check out any markings on old guns. Indians use to do scrimshaw on brass guns and on the elevators of 73's which can tell a story of the person that had the gun.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg