In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1873 marking part II

critter3030critter3030 Member Posts: 29
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Thanks again to all who responded to my original post. I'm still interested in additional input regarding my question about the star engraved on the lifter. I also mentioned that the gun had an odd repair to the front sight. Picture attached. The barrel does not appear to have been cut. Hopefully, I'll know more once I get some info from from Cody. The repair appears very old as the patina is consistent with the rest of the gun. After hearing the responses I have received so far, I am beginning to wonder if perhaps the star was added to the gun at the same time as the checkering was performed - possibly by the same person. Most seem to agree that it was probably only decorative and didn't indicate anything in particular. Thanks again, you guys are great.

Added a couple more pictures. Barrel length is 24.25" and end of barrel to the center of the sight dovetail is .92". Center of magazine retaining band to end of barrel is exactly 3.75""
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Picture_j.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Picture_k.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Picture_l.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Picture_00647.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Picture_00181.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Picture_00834.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Picture_b.jpg

Comments

• Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you could take a picture of the whole gun, that would help get a idea of what was done to it. What is the length of the barrel? The barrel measurement includes the part threaded in the receiver. What I see in the picture is there was a dovetail that was plugged in front of the one that was in there now. Normally the center front sight dovetail is about .9" from the end of the barrel. I don't understand why someone would do that unless the barrel was shortened. Another measurement is the distance from the center of the magazine retaining band to the end of the barrel. it should be about 3.75"

Added: Its a standard 24" barrel I can't understand why they would put a dovetail there.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The star was stamped versus engraved, and it is not factory original. The checkering on the stocks is definitely aftermarket (and is quite crudely done). The barrel alteration near the front sight is a mystery, and like Bob, I have no explanation for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert,

I don't see any sign that the star is stamped. I see evidents it was non professional engraved. The 2 lines that make up a point in the star don't end at the same point, another line is not straight, another is offset for one side to another. If it was stamped I would expect to see some displaced metal rising above the the base metal.

Bob

star2_zpsfscl7x3z.jpg
    star_zpsnrjhmvpk.jpg
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That extra dovetail has been bugging me so I asked a friend about it and he thought it would of come from a old telescopic sight. Some didn't have adjustable mounts and they did mount using the dovetail.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    critter3030critter3030 Member Posts: 29
    edited November -1
    Thanks much Bert and Bob. Like I mentioned before, I realize that this gun isn't going to impress the collectors very much. Unfortunately for me, that's why I can afford it. On the bright side, I actually like the character that a well used gun develops over the years. Yup, Bert's right,the checkering is pretty crude, but it doesn't look bad from a distance. A for the star, I far from an expert but having looked at it under magnification and good light, my guess is that it was engraved rather than stamped. The edges are very sharp with no deformation of the surrounding metal. Too bad that it doesn't mean that the gun is a rare treasure but I like it anyway, more character. That front sight dovetail may remain a mystery. If you guys come up with anymore information, please keep it coming. Once I get the Cody letter I'll let you know if there's anything interesting on it. Thanks again.

Don't mean to drag this thread out but I'd sure like to hear more about how the dovetail in front of the front sight would have been used to attach a scope. How was the rear attached? During what time frame was this type of modification being performed? Does a modification of this type hurt the value?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I checked with Cody today on your gun.

Type: Rifle
    Barrel Type: Round
    Trigger: Plain
    Received in warehouse on March 27, 1885
    Shipped from warehouse on August 02, 1885, Order number 19895

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:That extra dovetail has been bugging me so I asked a friend about it and he thought it would of come from a old telescopic sight. Some didn't have adjustable mounts and they did mount using the dovetail.
    I have seen this on Model 1892 and Model 1894 rifles.
    Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by critter3030

Don't mean to drag this thread out but I'd sure like to hear more about how the dovetail in front of the front sight would have been used to attach a scope. How was the rear attached? During what time frame was this type of modification being performed? Does a modification of this type hurt the value?

The telescopic sights were long tubes and usually they used the existing dovetails to mount to the barrel but if the particular scope didn't have movable mounts they had to put a dovetail in. That is what I'm guessing could have happened to yours. If the gun lettered with the sight it would be worth a lot more money or if it had the scope on it but as it stands the gun does not letter with it and we are just speculating that it had one. The filled in dovetail will hurt the value as I see it but you already have issues with the checkering. Here is a picture of what it could of looked like.

Bob

15827108_1.jpg?v=8CFF2D411DCC980
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg