In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1873 Winchester

ogacctogacct Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a 1873 32 20 here a while back that is a good solid brown and the only bad pitting I have is from about the end of the front sight pretty much all around the barrel to the end of the barrel. A couple of them are pretty deep and I was wonder if there is a product that could be used that would would take a brown/blue, and not look like a fill in. Or just forget it and say it's over a 100 years old.

Comments

• ogacctogacct Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1873 winchester 32 20 that was missing the ejector. I guess the new parts are made to work in more than one caliber and they have to be dressed a bit. Since i didn't have one in the gun I am not sure of the fit. I got it trimmed down enough to fit the pin hole and the ejector is pretty tight in the grove. What I am wondering is if it should stay down in the grove fair tight or should it be able to rock up just a little. Give the bolt has a bit of slant in the rear where the hole is I would think it maybe should fit loose enough to lift out of the slot when the ejection takes place. I might have to take a little more of the area around the pin so the ejector can move. can anybody tell me how the ejector should work?
    edited November -1
    I purchase a 1873 bits and parts. the gun hand been totally striped at one time or another. I got the receiver and barrel looking pretty goood with a brown/blue but I got problems with the side plates and the dust cover. I would guess they are made of a different metal. If I use the same process as I did on the barrel and receiver, on the dust cover and side plates I end up with a orange color. I have done every thing I can think of to get a somewhat color match but nothing I do will even come close. Can anybody help me with this?
    edited November -1
    I have a gunsmimthing question. I just bought, at a very reduced price, an 1873 Winchester in 32-20. Having owned a '73 in 38-40 before, I am used to paying more than I relly want to for shells. This gun has been considerably cut down, to 18 inches. It was made in 1890 and is in excellent mechanical shape otherwise. So, here's the deal. Can it be bored out to shoot low velocity .38 specials? Obviously, the innards can stand the pressures of bigger loads than that (44-40 for example) and since the gun has already been bastardized and its value already cut considerably, my thought was to make it an historically interesting, but reasonably priced shooter. Any thoughts on the practicality of this?
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester 1873 serial number 414768B, 3840 what does the B stand for?
    edited November -1
    I've got a 1873 Winchester rifle 44/40 3rd model, octagonal barrel. On the barrel just in front of the breech is the factory? inscription "The Daisy Rifle". Does anybody have any info on this? The condition is 40-50%, typical bore for these, and the wood is very good. Thanks for any help.
    edited November -1
    Inherited an 1873 Winchester 44-40 several years ago. I know was manufactured 1885 by the serial number. Serial number has a "B" at the the end, 189xxxB. Does this signify a bull barrell? Does this increase value of this rifle?

This is not the gun John Wayne won the west with. He couldn't have held it up long enough.

Gun is in shooting condition. Had a gunsmith check it out.

Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle?
    edited November -1
    I have a 1873 Winchester 38 40 built in 1888. I is in very good shape, good and tight and good bore. Is it OK to shot modern ammo in or should I buy black powder ammo ?
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have a more complete production ratio than what is given in the 1 of 1000, The Winchester Book by Madis. Tom
    edited November -1
    Hello all I have a first model 1873 the ? is did any of them come with a nickel buttplate? it is steel or magnetic i should say has the rod opening fits good but is nickel which seems strange. Serial 3 7199 which has too make it relatively early on. just wodering?
    thanks all in advance. Kevin
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    I'm looking at a very high quality 1873 Winchester with a production date of 1890. The guns blue rates a 95%+ wood 98% as Iv been told its all original from factory. And has not been re-blued or finished. It has a Cody letter stating it was manufactured in 1890 with a round barrel however it also stated it was returned to the Winchester factory in 1905 for repair. The gun now has an 24 inch octagon barrel that was put on by Winchester in 1905. Will this effect the value of the gun now or in the future? Is this gun still considered factory original? Is it still collectors quality?
    Thanks,
    edited November -1
    When did winchester start using the set screw in the common front sight of the 1873 winchester rifles? Thanks Tom
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what the "B" signifies, but it sure isn't "bull barrel"; these rifles were heavy enough with the standard barrel. Besides, there would be no improvement in the accuracy of a .44-40 round with a bull barrel. Most M1873's were either octagon or round; the octagon is most desireable. I guess you may find a special order that is different, like half octagon or something else.

Something like a case-colored receiver would greatly increase the value. But, as with most classic guns, condition & originality are the overriding factors in determining value.

Neal
  • pladsplads Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The B does not signify anything that anybody has been able to ascertain. fleydrman's and Fjelstad's both acknowledge the B but state there is no significance.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by plads
    The B does not signify anything that anybody has been able to ascertain. fleydrman's and Fjelstad's both acknowledge the B but state there is no significance.

That is not true... the "A" (on the Second Model), and the "B" on the third Model signify minor mechanical improvements that were made to the action during the production run.

Neither Flayderman of Fjestad is an expert on the Winchester Model 1873. You might try reading the material written by Herb Houze. George Madis' written works contain a lot of erroneous prose, and should not be used as the gospel.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!