In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question : Rem 1100 barrel interchange with ?

IowaIowa Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
I've been told I can interchange a 3" barrel on a model 1100 remington
receiver that has 2 3/4"barrel now. After measuring the receiver it is
the same as a 3" magnum?! Can I safely put a 3" barrel on this receiver
for hunting? Thanks in advance

Comments

• eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't take this as Gospel truth, but I think you can do what you've described. The only concern is not to use 3" shells in 2 3/4" receivers. You should be fine.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 inch shells shoud only be used in a 1100 with "MAGNUM" marked on the reciever.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have a 3" barrel for my 1100. The difference is a longer chamber and one hole for gas instead of two. The instructions that came with it from Remington says you can use 3" steel shot with it, but not lead or other heavier shot. I use it with 2 3/4 magnum shells also. It will not work with light field loads.
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duck Hunter... Why not???? The receivers are identical... The differences between Magnum and non-magnum are all in the barrel..EXCEPT The magnum receiver is roll stamped "MAGNUM".. Do you really think Remington production engineers would have two different designs for receivers that were identical??? It would have doubled production costs for each magnum manufactured... The touted difference was to increase sales..If you wanted to go with both low brass 2-3/4" and 3" magnum shells...They'd gladly sell you TWO different guns... It is a reality that one can mount a "2-3/4 only" barrel on a "magnum" receiver to turn the duck gun into a dove gun... The # and size of the gas ports are such that the recoil of the bolt is regulated as to not injure the back of the receiver....