In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.303 Savage Octogan barrel, Lever action?

RagmanRagman Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
Just bought a Savage .303 lever action with a full octogan barrel. It has an internal magazine that looks like it will hold 5 shells. Got it from an old man who said that his dad bought it new and he still had the original box of shells. there were 20 when new and 10 have been shot. Patent date is Feb 7, 1890 or 93 I can't quite make out which. What do I have? Worth? Keeper? Anyone know?[?]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Savage model 99 or model 95 great guns
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Ragman...

The patent date should read "Feb. 7, 1893". If you tell us what the serial number is, I would be willing to bet that we can tell if it is a Model 1895 or an early 1899, and approximately when it was made. Regardless, I would bet that you have a real nice keeper[^]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Only # that I can see on the gun is right in front of the trigger guard and on the bottom. It is 32.235
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, you have an early Model 1899 that was manufactured in 1903.

Bert H.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert, any idea what a gun like this would be worth being fired only 10 times and with the first box of shells with it to boot?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ragman
    Thanks Bert, any idea what a gun like this would be worth being fired only 10 times and with the first box of shells with it to boot?

Other than having only been shot 10 times, what condition is the rest of the gun in? What does the original blueing look like? Condition of the stocks? Because it is 101 years old, I would expect that it has been handled quite a bit, and that always has an effect on the condition of the finish. Can you post a picture of it?

Bert H.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well it's getting late, but I'll get a picture tomorrow. The gun is in excellent shape. It has hung on a wall almost all of it's life and is as tight as the day it was made. Stock is excellent also with only one small chip out of the top back right behind the receiver. I would say that it is 95%. I'll post a picture or two tomorrow. Thanks for all your info. Time for me to hit the sack. Long day tomorrow. Take Care.........Ciao