In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Model 52 Ammo

A-37A-37 Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
Shooting Times Handgun Quarterly (Spring '89) states that .38 Supers can be fired, using the stock 52 magazine, with no problems in a S&W Model 52. This assumes that you have a .38 Super load that has an overall length equal to (or slightly shorter than) a .38 Special wadcutter. Any opinions on this? Anyone done this?

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont think so. The 38 super case is different than the .38 spl case and the model 52 was designed to shoot .38 spl wadcutter only.

There was a .38 AMU cartridge made for the model 52-A designed by the Army Marksmanship Unit that was semi-rimless. It was derived from the .38 spl cartridge, but you will probably never encounter one of these as there were only 87 made.

Joe
    "Never let school interfere with your education"
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Giles and others converted colt 38 super's into 38 special and used colt 38special MAGAZINES he didnot change barrel and he loaded flush mounted wadcutter bullets it might work BUTa 38super is much hotter than the 38special load for a model 52 I would not take a chance on blowing up a fine gun like a model 52 and I dont think a factory 38 super will fit in the magazine. I know a lot of people like to try things with gun .Just like people like "TUNER CARS" but you can blow up guns and hurt or kill yourself.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might work as the .38 Super is semi-rimmed. However, your load better be seriously downloaded to .38 special equivalent levels, as any off the shelf .38 Super loads will likely be too hot and might blow up your gun. I don't think it would be very accurate either.
  • A-37A-37 Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's what the article's author says: "...and the steel frame design of the gun is more than adequate (proven so) for .38 Super pressure levels - even when loaded to major power levels for USPSA/IPSC competition.

I don't believe everything I read in magazines and that's why I'm asking if any of you have actually shot .38 Supers in your Model 52.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello A37 the one thing you left out is all semiautos match the recoil spring to the load If you shoot a higher recoil load you might not see damage but it BEATS up the gun WHY WHY WHY ruin a great gun just to shoot a 38 super load. get a factory 38 super
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A-37
    Here's what the article's author says: "...and the steel frame design of the gun is more than adequate (proven so) for .38 Super pressure levels - even when loaded to major power levels for USPSA/IPSC competition.

I don't believe everything I read in magazines and that's why I'm asking if any of you have actually shot .38 Supers in your Model 52.

I admit, I haven't, but as someone who has loaded .38 Super to IPSC major levels extensively and shot them through 1911 design based guns, I sure as heck wouldn't risk it in a Mod. 52. There really isn't any logical reason I can think of to try it.