In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is the .270 WSM acceptable for elk, moose, etc?

Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
Looking over ballistic data from the various ammo mfgrs, I am wondering whether the .270 WSM might actually be up to the job when it comes to elk, moose, caribou, and other "large" thin-skinned game. The major mfgrs present a 140-grain round for "heavy" game in .270 WSM, but I've always thought 140 grains is too light when hunting elk, moose, and caribou.

Ballistically, the .270 WSM performs on par w/ the 7mm Rem. Magnum when matched in equal weight rounds (i.e., 140 grain vs. 140 grain). Thus, I suppose my question is, if a 140-grain .270 WSM round hits an elk w/ roughly the same force and at roughly the same speed as a 160-grain 7mm Rem. Magnum round (if not faster), then will the .270 WSM's 20-grain deficit in bullet weight really mean anything, in practical terms?

Looking forward to the board's feedback on this one. Thanks for any replies.

Rifleman.308

Comments

• BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never hunted any of those animals. But I think you have plenty of rifle for those game types. Here's some info for you as far as bullet weights and FPS. You have the option of 150 or 160grn bullets. I believe it will get er' done. I have the 300wsm, and I'm sure it'd do it.

http://www.shortmags.org/shortmags/downloads/270WSM_Nosler.pdf

reloaded.gif You are knuckle-dragging ape with a gun.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My personal opinion is that a 140 grain bullet is too light for Elk regardless of what cartridge you use to push it. Elk are tough animals, and the bigger the bullet the better. I can not say how well it would perform on Moose and Caribou, but my understanding is that both are easier to kill than an Elk. My personal choice for Elk is a 300 grain JSP launched at 2500 fps from my Winchester 405 W.C.F. chambered high-wall... it cleanly kills at both ends[}:)]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifleman,

I have a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .270 WSM. I like the rifle and cartridge a lot, however, I think that it would be a more appropriate choice for white tail or mule deer, or sheep size game.

Some of the Winchester factory ammo would probably work for elk size game if the range wasn't too far, and you could be sure of proper shot placement. The Winchester 140 grain Failsafe has a muzzle velocity of 3125 fps, and 3100 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. The Winchester 150 grain Power Point has a muzzle velocity of 3150 fps, and 3325 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. Either of these loads would probably do under the right conditions, but I think I would rather have something with a larger, heavier bullet for larger game like moose, etc.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No matter what you use, bullet placement is paramount. The Swedes and other north Europeans regularly use 6.5x55 on moose. It appears they are not difficult to kill cleanly if the bullet is placed properly. I agree with Bert H that 150 grains is light for elk. They are indeed tough, and can go a long way with a bullet through both lungs. .30-06 is a better choice, but if .270 is all you have, get the heaviest (I have not looked lately, I hunt elk with a 7 mag) premium bullet you can. Even a .308 with a 180 grain bullet would be a better choice if you have a choice.
  • Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the quick replies. Next query: How about the 160-grain Winchester Accupoint CT in 7mm WSM for elk?

My goal is to find a rifle that can do cross-over duty between very frequent whitetail and mule deer hunting and rather infrequent elk and moose hunting. From the replies and my additional research, the 7mm WSM seems more to my liking. The 300 WSM has too much punch for the frequent deer hunter, I think.

Looking forward to any additional feedback on this one. Thanks again.
  • Blacktail-HunterBlacktail-Hunter Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 270WSM has taken many large animals, including elk. The 140gr Barnes TSX is a great choice. Check out shortmags.org for personal hunting accounts using the 270WSM.
  • nwsportinggoodsnwsportinggoods Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For deer and elk i use a 30-06 165SBT for deer and 200SBT for elk.
    have had good luck with this combo But bullet placement is key for any animal. 30-06, 7mm, or 300win i feel is ideal for deer and elk.Because of the factory loaded ammo thats available.
  • nwsportinggoodsnwsportinggoods Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For deer and elk i use a 30-06 165SBT for deer and 200SBT for elk.
    have had good luck with this combo But bullet placement is key for any animal. 30-06, 7mm, or 300win i feel is ideal for deer and elk.Because of the factory loaded ammo thats available.
  • Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO, bullet weight and shot placement are much more important then velocity in downing animals as large as Elk or Moose. In fact for all the game that you list my favorite cartridge is the 9.3X62mm Mauser fireing a Barnes 250gr. X bullet at 2650 fps.
  • the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7wsm 160 accubond000_0010.jpg