In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

10/22 bull bbl

linemechlinemech Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
I know we could spend quite some time on argueing this but what is my best bet for an aftermarket bull bbl for my 10/22 target? And how much of a difference will i see over the stock heavy bbl?

Comments

• Options
    phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard Green Mountain makes the best but I am pretty satisfied with my Butler Creek. I plan on doing a ground up 10/22 build using Tactical Solutions(http://tacticalsol.com/) barrel, solid piece of billet aluminum.
    Check out my range report:
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=134542
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All other things being equal your groups should tighten up from say "quarter" to "nickel" size or maybe it would be better to say that the groups should get around 50% better.

However, with that said I've seen out of the box standard profile barrel 10/22's fire "quarter size" groups. And I've seen many of the ruger heavy barrel (target) model's shoot "nickle" to "near nickle" size groups out of the box, so you may not see all that much, if anything changing out the factory target barrel.

If you have a factory heavy (target) barreled rifle that isn't shooting well you probably have another problem. You really need to tell us more about what your current setup is doing.

9407288-Ti.jpg

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    RimmerRimmer Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accuracy wise I'd say between the Green Mountain and Butler Creek, there isn't much difference. I have one of each. If you want to step up a notch then look at Volquartsen or Lilja.

Replace the hammer and free float the barrel in the stock and your well on your way to a very accurate rifle.

Rich
    Ohio
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont have a major problem with my current setup. I was thinking that i could upgrade to a better setup with a new bbl and some trigger work. I have seen so many different aftermarket barrels im not sure what to buy. In short i have a hard time "outshooting" the rifle now inside of 75yds but at a 100yds i think that i could do better with a new bbl and some other tuneing. I have played around with different ammo and think I have gone about as far with my current setup as i can. Thanks for the help i think ill look into the above posted barrels.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The factory Ruger 10/22 has three main faults with regard to the barrel. These are the chamber, headspace, and the crown.

The Ruger factory chamber is notoriously loose and in not the precision Benz cutting. A tighter chamber will probably mean a reduction in feeding reliability, but a potential for an increase in accuracy.

Headspace is sloppy because apparently the bolt is not square to the breech. If accuracy is the primary criteria, the bolt needs to be squared to the breech face.

Finally, gunsmiths complain about the crown on the factory barrel. Barrel replacement with a target crown should make a difference here.

Even with all these ehancements, accuracy may only improve marginally. Depending upon the ammunition, a fully tuned Ruger 10/22 may only shot 0.1 inch better than the original factory parts or may even shot worse compared with factory parts.

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Heavy ill leave it slone. thats not enough change for me to bother. Sharpening my skills will get me alot further than that and all i have to do is practice.
  • Options
    mauser_centralmauser_central Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Green Mountain is what my 10/22 wears , I highly recommend them. Clerke makes a good one to.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe
    ~ Jesus Christ [Luke 11:21.6]

Mauser Central

MidwayUSA, if your not signed up for the Eblast alerts you are missing some great deals !