In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

REMINGTON 1917--

razorblade17razorblade17 Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
ANY THING ON A REMINGTON 1917- SERIAL # 245240-- CAL UNKNOWN.SUPER NICE- DID NOT HAVE TIME TO REALLY LOOK AT.

THANKS, R17

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You need to provide much more info. Is the gun in original military condition, or sporterized? If original, it is in 30-06 and depending on condition, I'd say is worth $400 to $650.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    YES I KNOW-- I PLAN TO GET A CLOSER LOOK SAT. I THINK THERE MAY BE 2 OF THESE AT A SALE. LOOKS ORIGINAL TO ME!!

THANKS, R17
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Can't check it's history at Springfield without the whole serno.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem was making a P(attern)-14 in 303 British for England, when we entered WW-1 we modified it to handle the 30-06 cartridge and called the 30-06 version the Model 17.
    As someone mentioned, it was origionaly chambered in 30-06, but many have been sporterixed into something else (Mine is chambered in 375 H&H).
    Look carefully at the front receiver ring, some were fitted with barrels having slightly oversize threads, and these would sometimes develop a hairline crack in the front ring.

HeavyIron, You would be correct, thanks for catching that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANK YOU!! R17
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

With the utmost respect for Tailgunner's knowledge of firearms, I think he meant WWI instead of WWII.

All the Model 1917's were produced during WWI from approximately 1917 to 1918 with approximately some 2 million being manufactured. All U.S. Model 1917's as they are officially named were chambered in .30-06. Some were arsenal refurbished during WWII. A number of the refurbished Model 1917's had barrels supplied by Johnson Automatics which is the same Johnson as the Johnson automatic rifle used in the Pacific in WWII. These barrels are marked "JA". Eddystone rifle parts are marked with an "E", Remington rifle parts are marked with "R", and Winchester "W". If the rifles have a mix of "E", "R", or "W" marked parts, then it could be a refurbished rifle. However, even the arsenal refurbished rifles have value on the collectors market.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THE ONLY OTHER MARKINGS I CAN FIND ON THIS GUN; IS AN "R" STAMPED ON THE BARREL-- AND #182182 ON THE BOLT- (I BELIEVE IT ALSO HAS THE "R")

THANKS, R17

NO PICTURES AVAILABLE-
  • Options
    JKJK Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Razor,
    You have been given all good info. I might add though:Remington Arms & UMC of Ilion NY made 545,541 of these rifles, so you got the bottom half. Bbls made in 1917 had 5 grooves and a LH twist. Rifles barreled in WW 2 may have either 2 or 4 grooves. One more thing. Check over the caliber if you can. If by any chance it is chambered for a .276 you are truly sitting on a gold mine. How much I don't really know.
    Hope I helped.

John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS A LOT!! R
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FOLLOW UP ON THE OLD 1917! AS STATED PREVIOUSLY- SER# 245240-"MODEL OF 1917 REMINGTON!" ON THE BARREL LOOKS LIKE -"CAL ST AIR VT"THEN RIGHT UNDER THAT P17 30-06-
    ON THE BOLT ITSELF 162182-- "R"
    THERE IS ALSO AN "R" STAMPED IN THE WOOD-UNDER THE BARREL

DON'T KNOW "ANYTHING" ABOUT THESE BOYS. OH; THERE IS A CLEANING TUBE AND BRUSHES IN THE STOCK! LOT OF HISTORY HERE!!

APPRECIATE ALL WHO HELPED A FEW DAYS AGO. A GUESS AT THE VALUE!???

THANKS AGAIN, RAY