In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet choice for .300 win-mag

37rangemaster37rangemaster Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
Well after last years horrible deer season and using crappy bullets i was told to try some gamekings...Is there any other bullet for ALL AROUND (15 yards to 300+ yards) that I should consider?

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The nosler balistic tip is THE MOST deadly pill you can send out for those ranges and beyond. It will destroy some meat,..but WILL anchor your deer right where it stands. Quit playing with those lead tip pills and use the NBT. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY. They also shoot as well as a match grade bullet.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If using the Ballistic Tips I would suggest you start with 165 grain or more. I've used the 165 grain in a 30/06 and found them to open up pretty quick. I don't know what kind of "crappy" bullets you're refering to but a plain old Remington 180 corelokt should be plenty good enough for any shot on a deer. You can't go wrong with Nosler partitions because they will open up quick enough to put a deer right down and still have the capability of punching through from tough angles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I or should i say my father was using the hornady SST balistic tips last fall and the bullets failed to perform...the load used was pushing the bullet close to 3200fps and was very accurate (180 grain bullet) but it seemed like it either went right through the deer or exploded on impact[xx(] I'm finally after 3 years making it home to go deer hunting this year and I want the best bullet possible at very close ranges along with 300+ yards...

JustC are you saying that I shouldnt have any problems with the nosler bullets like my father had with the Hornadys?
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I've become a big fan of the Barnes Tripplr Shock bullets. They have shown that they will open well at most any range without falling apart. Depending on the size of the game I'd suggest either 165g or 180g for your 300winmag. 180g BTS is what I have for my 300wby, I used to use 180g Trophy Bonded Bear Claws but have been converted even though the TBBC were really excellent in their own right. But, as I reload my own shifting over to the BTS was not a problem or a major expense. Still I expect that the real answer is that you should try several premium loadings and see what your particular rifle likes best......

Also check out the new Fusion cartridges from Federal. They are suppose to be a premium bonded/plated design at normal prices....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies guys...I'm 900 miles away from my rifle at the moment and will be driving up the opening day of hunting so i wont have any time to experiment with different bullets...if i have any trouble at all with the gamekings i'll make a trip to cabellas or scheels and grab some factory loads
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    If the SSTs shoot well in the gun, then switch to the Interbonds, they will open up rapidly but hold together pretty well (designed for 70-80% weight retention).
    Just another point, there is not a bullet made that is going to perform perfectly in every situation. Put the bullet where it needs to go and even if it blows through it will still be fatal. Remember, blood-trailing is an intergral part of deer hunting. There is no shame in having to do it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    If the SSTs shoot well in the gun, then switch to the Interbonds, they will open up rapidly but hold together pretty well (designed for 70-80% weight retention).
    Just another point, there is not a bullet made that is going to perform perfectly in every situation. Put the bullet where it needs to go and even if it blows through it will still be fatal. Remember, blood-trailing is an intergral part of deer hunting. There is no shame in having to do it.

I hear what you are saying but i have a hard time believing it was a shot placement error as it happened on more than one deer and my father is classified as an expert in 4-position shooting...the biggest deer he had ever had a chance to bag stood broadside from him maybe 15 yards away...he shot and it took off running...he ended up tracking it over a half mile if i remember correctly...i'm begining to wonder if maybe i was pushing the bullet to fast? however when shooting at a paper target at 450 yards there was no sign of keyholing[?]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    The bullets that work so well in my 300WM at ranges out to 425yds are the Nosler 220gr semi-spitzers. They are getting hard to find nowadays, but some stores still have a box or two.
    Deer are thin-skinned animals, and need a bullet that (at closer ranges) will shock and expand quickly, where at longer ranges; needs to hang on to as much velocity/energy as possible, while still expanding and shocking rapidly.
    My fave load is 66gr of IMR4350 with a Win. LRM primer in a new RWS case, but that's a pretty hot number. If you decide to try it, even with your compressed schedule; reduce by 6% AT LEAST to start.
    Good Hunting!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    37rangemaster,

When you run a load at nearly 3200 FPS. and want to be able to have a bullet perform from 15 yards to 300+ yards, that's really asking for a lot! At 15 yards, I can kill a deer with a pistol...

Here is the problem with your SST bullets, look at the jackets. The picture below shows the SST on the right and the InterBond on the left:

467738.jpg

The reason for the InterBond is the fact that the SST's had problems staying together. The jacket was too thin for the high velocity impacts which were supposed to be controlled by the cannelure, which obviously didn't work. The InterBond has a much stouter jacket which allows it to stand up better to the higher velocity impacts.

The Sierra GameKings have the same problem as the SST's, a thin jacket. Performance is usually noted as being inconsistent, ranging from explosive to penciling through.

I think that if you really want to have that spread of ranges at that velocity you need to go with the Barnes TSX or the Nosler Partitions or some variation of that design such as the Swift A-Frame. I use the North Fork bullets if I have any questions about the situations I'll be confronted with during a hunt.

Best.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A quality bullet is one thing, but you might want to test fire the different bullets weights. I have a 300WM, and found that it groups best with 180gr. I presume this has to do with rate of rifling. If you are going for 300+ yd shots, find the weight that is the most accurate first.