In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Engraving the value out of a gun?

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
A friend of mine has a Kimber .45acp 1911 style "Eclipse" engraved with Friends of the Nra Gun of the Year. Someone told him the engraving, in this case, actually makes this gun less desirable.
Anyone have an opinion?

Comments

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Engraving on a gun is highly subjective. IMO most engraving detractcs from the appearance of the gun. I do know that an engraved gun trying to be sold for what the owner feels it's worth usually takes a LOT longer to sell and never brings the price he wants/feels it should command; and the owner usually ends up selling it for less than what he feels he should have sold it for. It takes the "right" buyer to "like" an engraved gun to spring the extra bucks for it.

I turnd down a fully engraved Gold Cup (at a good price) because it was engraved, and a high quality engraving too. The gun just was too "prissy" or something, didn't look right.

...So yes, in general engraving is a loosing proposition money wise unless the owner is going to keep it forever and it is just for his own pleasure and enjoyment...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    I agree with COLT. I wouldn't say the engraving makes it less desirable.....just not as desirable to most.[;)][:D] I, personally, will pay more for a plain jane gun over the exact same gun with engraving.

Ben
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Decorative engraving is different from inscriptions. Inscriptions of the generic kind generally devalue the gun slightly.
    Decorative engraving is a whole different ballgame, as described above.
    Bill
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been on both sides of this issue. I do some engraving as a part of my antique gun restoration work (broken part weld & restore engraving). I have engraved several pieces of my own which I still own or are in my family. Selling an existing engraved gun, even though beautifully done, is a very iffy proposition unless it 'factory' engraved or by/for/etc something or someone where the notability itself is important. On the other hand I have had a few jobs in which a client commissioned me to engrave his gun. In that case the engraver charges what the traffic will bear. Chances are the client has $2500 in a gun that would be a slow sale at a third of that.

Been there, Done that!
  • chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by chumchum
    I think it's a gun by gun bases. I've seen old factory hand engraved guns sell for many times more than the same gun not engraved. However most guns today from the factory if not all are lazer engraved. I doubt that they will ever hold the value of the old time hand engraved guns, but who knows? If we did, we could all retire!!!! Check out this old auction 75418030