In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

tesoronut's Pictures on Marlin rifle

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
Here are the pictures of tesoronut's Marlin that he asked me to post for him:

M9.jpg
M8.jpg
M6.jpg
M5.jpg
M4.jpg
M3.jpg
M2.jpg
Marlin.jpg
What's next?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO this started life as a very nice rifle. but ask your self could the metal finish be this good if original [?][?] I think not and believe that it may have some interest as a "BLING" item but not now a collector item[:(][:(].
  • tesoronuttesoronut Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the question...I don't know. Metal finish does look good, but "whodunit?"
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not factory original, and at this point in time, it makes no difference "who" did it. The collector value is gone.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Bert should know! After all, his beloved Winchesters are merely a poor copy of this Marlin.[}:)]

Seriously... Had this rifle been manufactured with this kind of finish, then it could be safely assumed that the wood would have been of a much better grade. Photos tend to distort details in some cases and enhance them in others. I see somewhat rounded stampings. I'll guarantee the rifle didn't leave Marlin this way.

Someone took a nice rifle (probably some time ago when it wasn't considered a collector's item) and "upgraded" it. Certainly it made for a distinctive piece. Maybe even attractive to some eyes... And absolutely destroyed anything but the value as a shooter.
  • tesoronuttesoronut Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank all of you for your help. We have sent off for a factory letter on this gun, but hopefully, I can short-stop it on the other end. At this point, I think the letter would simply be a waste of good money. Again, thanks. I realized that lots of folks did re-blueing, but didn't realize that folks put nickel finishes on these guns.