In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

US Colt 45

lori03lori03 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
My grandpa has a gun from WWII that someone is trying to buy from him, and he is trying to get an idea of what it is worth. It is a US Colt 45 made in 1944 and is government issued. It is in very good condition. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have no way of helping you without detailed photos and a very specific description of all markings both external & internal.

If its a "righteous", i.e. all original parts that should be on a Colt made in 1944 and in Very Good+ to Excellent original condition, well over $1000.

We can't made that determination, until you provide the required photos and data, referenced in the first paragraph.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...rufe is right...w/o good pics, description, and knowing how original it is, no way to get close on a price. $1,000-$3,000+...now that's kinda a spread isn't it?...and it could be anywhere in between...

...Most that "stayed" in the military and were not "bring-backs" were re-aresenald, and should have a stamp showing such. Similar to the M1 Carbines and Garrands in that a LOT have a mish-mash of parts, but as long as they are the right marked parts, that's acceptable...but the ones that retain 99-100% of the parts they left the factory with when headed off to war are worth a premium.

...Every Company and their dog jumped on the band wagon to make "Colt's" during the pre-war and war years. Remmington Rand, Ithica, Union Switch, Colt (of course) and several others, all collectable.
    Like with the M1 Carbine, Rockola, GE and many other companys. At one time America would pull together to defeat a common enemy instead of argue it out in the halls of Congress...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    lori03lori03 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Sorry I'm not very familiar with guns, so I will not be able to describe the markings very well. I will get him to get a picture of it this weekend, and hopefully that will help. It was issued to him when he joined the Navy in WWII the first part of 1944. The ship he was on transported equipment to and from the battles before they started and ended, so he never really was in any heavy fighting. He doesn't really remember ever firing it.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Lori The thing about older guns is just like older cars ORIGINAL is the key to value . It will take some high quality closeups of all markings to even come close to a value and one of the most important pieces that was replaced often was the barrel to tell if that part is original the gun would have to be taken apart most likely unless you could get a very good very close shot of the part of the barrel you can see when the pistol is closed you will need to look at where the empty shells come out after firing. A side Note Uncle Sam DID NOT let guns that were issued go home with the person it was issued to . IMHO there is not a legal problem with ownership at this late date . "MANY WERE SOLD AS SURPLUS AFTER THE WAR" but unless you have release documents this is just a vintage colt pistol and I would leave it at that . if the pistol is nice it will bring a good price if you want to sell it.If fair condition with replacement parts ??
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    perry correct, Uncle Sam did not "allow" issue weapons to go home with GI's mustering out...but a TON of 'em did, longuns and handguns [:D]

If it was a long gun, they were "duffle-cut" to fit inside your bag and not be seen...handguns were just not "dissclosed"...and mostly "lost" in combat and an AAR was filled out on the issued weapon.

...A lot of GI's were so concerened when they got home with their .45's they had "US Property" milled off and the gun re-finished, sad. A lot of chrome WWI and WWII 1911's floating around that were chromed when they got back to the states.

..There is NO problem Lori with buying/selling/owning a Govt Property 1911 from the War years, no matter it's dissposition into the civie market.

Now with the whacko liberal dumb A%$ rules the military now goes by with even bring back "War Trophies"...they would probably hunt you down and kill you and your family if you were unable to turn in your issue weapon when comming home...and War Trophies are reserved for the "rank"...though they wont tell you that.

A GI is still legally able to bring back a War Trophy, but THAT wont happen...as the "rank" tells you there IS a new reg against that, which to my knowledge (could be wrong, but would like to SEE it, not just "told"), there is NOT...the original reg allowing this is still on the books. The "rank" just want "whatever" for themselves. Sad, so sad War has even been overrun with PC poop...[;)]

cor205.gif

devoldog.gif

ani-texas-flag-1.gif