In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.416 Caliber

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
I blew it I failed to buy a 50 bolt action rifle prior to the ban in Califonnia. I was looking at the .416 Barrett, its way more money than I want to spend, is there more sane prices on a bolt rifles I can buy here.

Emmett

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't give up on the 50 cal yet. Just to bring those outside the PRK up to speed, neither 50 cal rifles nor 50 cal ammo were banned, only purchase of the 50 BMG rifle is banned in CA & those already here had to be registered. I'm in CA, you can legally own this rifle: http://www.edmarms.com/products/510dtc.htm
    Not cheap.

This one's a bit less expensive:
    http://www.serbu.com/top/bfg50.php

Also, if you own a registered AW AR 15, you can buy a 50 BMG upper and legally attach it to the AR receiver.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    The .416 is only available from Barrett, but it is a great cartridge if you are willing to spend the money. There are also several other cartridges that fit the bill if you are willing to reload such as the .408 Cheytac and the .50 DTC, both of which are available in California. Prices on anything in that power range will start near $3000 and go upwards to the $10,000 range. So you do have to pay to play. If you interested in a California based company that builds .50 BMG class rifles you need to check out EDM Arms from Redlands. Keary and Bob Richey really know how to buid a great rifle.

www.EDMArms.com
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another alternative might be the .338lapua magnum, its about the next biggest thing you can get. Accuracy International, Sako, Armalite, and a couple other companies out there offer them.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not get a CZ 550 Safari?
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by leeblackman
    Another alternative might be the .338lapua magnum, its about the next biggest thing you can get. Accuracy International, Sako, Armalite, and a couple other companies out there offer them.

I'll be at the range this weekend with n AR 30 and an HS Precision take down model in 338 Lapua Magnum. The HS is pretty pricey and takes a while to get, the AR 30 is much less expensive and very accurate. Has that "all business" look and excellent performance from the round.