In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Slugs in other than 2 3/4 shells ?

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
My son is looking to use the older style 'rifled slugs' to shoot from his 12ga Rem 870 Magnum. His second barrel is a mag-chambered barrel, 22" w/cyl bore.

Being a young buck, more is better. He asked me if slugs were only loaded in the 2 3/4" shells and not the 3".

Not being a slug-gunner I had never noticed other than 2 3/4, and had no answer, so I've posted the question.

Comments

• MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Slugs come in both 3" and 2 3/4.
    http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/slugger_rifled.asp

Seen deer killed with 3's and 2 3/4 no real difference in the long run of things.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are 17 choices in 3" shells 1 to 11/8 oz slugs.

http://tinyurl.com/2qmf3t
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion the only thing a 3" slug has to offer is more recoil!!
  • mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you can get a 3-1/2" slug. However, 2-3/4 will work just fine. Tell they young buck, there is no need being macho and busting up your arm. I speak from experience. [:D]
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several new option available for smooth bore slug guns. Some are very accurate, especially when compared to what we shot years ago. Tell him to find what shoots best from his gun. The 2 3/4" will have plenty of power within the accuracy limitations of smooth bore slug guns. I have shot 3" slugs from an 870, beleive me the extra reciol gains you nothing but a sore shoulder. The little extra velocity gained is useless because the accuracy falls off before the benefit.

I don't know if I am an expert, but I've shot a lot of slugs through a lot of guns.

Another point is his gun may shoot terible with one brand or type of slug and great with another, so find what works.

good luck........Scout
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    2 3/4" is just fine. The added recoil just isn't worth it in my opinion.
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANKS TO ALL
    I'LL PASS ALL THIS ON.....YOUR WORDS NOT MINE.

I'm just an old man...you know how it goes (most like we wuz).

I've got two fine boys to carry me if I need 'em.
  • allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 3" as the others have said seem only to beat you up more, but I did use some and had the problem of either short stroking or the empty case seemed more prone to hang up on the ejection port causing my 870 to jamb. Wasn't ever sure if it was the heat of the moment (my fault)or the empty being a smidge too long. Do try different makers/flavors as every slug gun I tried had a particular preference, even the same brand of gun, as others have said.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Give him a box of each.Set out a target at 50 yards or so. He will find out for himself that the 3 inch just isn`t worth the extra recoil.It will show up on paper as well as his shoulder.