In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FFL needed in state????????

mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
If I sell and ship a gun in my home state does it still have to be sent to a FFL Dealer, or is that just required for interstate sales.
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on "what state" your talking about.
    California = yes, even a face-to-face has to go through a FFL.
    Michigan = no on a long gun, but on a handgun the buyer needs a "permit to purchase" from his local "cop shop", so it is easier to go via a FFL IF it must be shipped but is not required on a FTF purchase.
  • mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This will be a long gun in Ga. If I ship it will it have to go to an FFL dealer. I think face to face will be ok without FFL but not sure. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Mike
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do it face to face, insist upon a copy of drivers license or a ccw permit if possible. That will assue you he is of legal age, and if he has a ccw he is not a felon. Probably BATF will ever ask, but if they do...
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call me paranoid, but I will no longer sell a gun in a private transaction unless I know the buyer REALLY well, even when my state law permits it. There are too many things that I couldn't possibly know about him: is he a felon, could he have a history of mental illness, could he be a drug dealer/addict, etc? I don't need the grief if something goes wrong.

Let him go through a dealer & pass the NICS; you will be able to sleep well at night.

Neal

"Just because you are paranoid, that doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you."
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I believe that mike posted this in response to a post that I put on his thread in the GD forum.
    As for getting a copy of the DL that is a good idea, as is having a bill of sale that both parties sign.
    As for the individual in question that may buy mike's gun, he is definately not a felon, or a drug user, or mentally ill. He served 10 years in the USN and has one of the highest levels of integrity that I have ever seen.
  • mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was about the person interested in my gun. Just don't know all the laws and wanted to make sure it was legal to ship a gun in state without an FFL. Not really worried that someone is a felon because there are very easy ways to buy cheaper guns(stolen, mostly pistols). Didn't mean any disrespect to anyone. Thanks
    Mike
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike, some cities & counties restrict the transfer of some/all firearms, & federal law makes the seller responsible for complying with these laws. I checked State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms (ATF P5300.5), & appears that no locality in Georgia has felt the need to enact their own firearms restrictions.

The buyer must be a legal resident of Georgia; it's not enough for him to just be living there. If you follow Handgun's advice, you should be fine.

Neal