In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger transfer bar safety

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
Do all Ruger "New" model Super Blackhawks have the transfer bar? Which is the newer model, 2 or 3 screw? If you have an older one, can it be sent in to have it added? I'm new to these revolvers. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    new models have the transfer bar. Two pins. If you have a three screw , old model, Ruger will make the change for you at no cost. www.rugerforum.com
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello If you have a Three screw be aware they are collector items if in good condition BUT collectors want them wit original Parts .If you send in to Ruger for the transfer bar change. TAKE OUT THE ORIGINAL FIRE CONTROL PARTS[:0] Ruger has started keeping the old parts they used to send them back with the pistol[:(!][V][:(]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only Ruger revolver currently made without the transfer bar system is the Old Army B.P.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I have not bought one yet, been looking at some of the auctions here and was just wondering which model was which. In the event that I do get an older one, I will just carry over and open chamber.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    best way to carry a old model is on a empty cylinder , bring the gun to half cock open loading gate , load 1 round , skip 1 chamber , load remaining 4 , close loading gate , cock and then lower hammer unto the empty chamber
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as to 'which model was which';
    the original model had 3 screws but the top of the frame,where the rear sight is mounted was flat.These 'flattops' bring a premium price when in good conditon.
    the next series still has 3 screws,no trnsfer bar,but has protective 'ears' around the rear sight.Called 'old models' or 'ramptops'. The gripframe is shaped just a tad different as well.
    IF you buy a gun that has had the transfer bar added,and then later decide to put in the original parts,they run upwards of 150.00 used.
    The 'upgrade' by Ruger is something that NO true Ruger lover EVER does,fyi.AS long as you just load 5 and carry over an empty hole,ti's totally uneccesary,imho.