In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS openions

LatumicLatumic Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have read that you can get a part for your SKS that will allow it to accept AK-47 magazines. Being that i am no expert, i would like your openions on this. More like pros and cons of doing this to my Yugo SKS. THANKS!!!

Comments

• Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    its not as simple as just installing a part. Its dremeling and installing some stuff into the mag well of your SKS. Its either hit or miss on if it will feed correctly. Save yourself the time and money and just buy the SKS that takes the AK mags from the factory.
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my shooting buddy did it to his sks. so yes, it can be done. as SuburbanNoize said you could have feeding problems which my friend DID experience. it was a real pain in the @ss. some further slight modifications were made to the stock to better fit the mag adapter part and after the mag is loaded (30rd) it takes 4 good whacks on the bottom of the mag and 4 more on the rear to seat the bullets before it is put into the gun. this pretty much solved the problem and it works great now. hope this helps
  • Options
    justright58justright58 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    openions ??????????????........... OPINIONS. eye gutcha.........

I put a folding stock on my sks which eliminated the 10 round box mag well. Now it uses sks-specific 30 round mags with a 'finger' which sticks out on the front of the mag to fill in the spot where the box mag hinge was. I have attached 2 links for the stock upgrade as well as the necessary magazine.
    stock:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=522408&t=11082005

mag:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=862913&t=11082005

This set up works good for me and she runs quite well![:D]

Gude Luk [8D]
    John[}:)]
  • Options
    agostinoagostino Member Posts: 414 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was warned off this conversion also. Even an accomplished machinist may end up with something that doesn't work. Take the advice of others. Either buy an SKS designed to accept AK mags, or settle for the detachable "duckbill" type.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Most of the detach mags wont work worth a damn as well. Out of 20 you might get 5 that work. Just buy an AK or the Chinese detach ready ones if you can, they are not much more and they are made for the detach mags. The SKS has not been very mod friendly as other and more modular designs.
  • Options
    ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just put a chinese 20 round fixed box on it.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Yup, 20 round chicom mag or sell it and save up for a SKS-D or SKS-M, both of 'em take AK mags from the factory. Of course, the common stocks, etc. don't fit them...
  • Options
    Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a little bit of practice, you can reload the orginal 10-rd magazine with stripper clips faster than changing a 30-rd mag, w/o having to worry about possible magazine malfunctions.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I have put a couple Chicom 20rd fixed mags on SKSs for my friends with them. I will say right now that the Yugo required HEAVY modification to the trigger assembly, and it did not feed reliably as the original, although better than every detach he tried.
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Glock23Expert
    With a little bit of practice, you can reload the orginal 10-rd magazine with stripper clips faster than changing a 30-rd mag, w/o having to worry about possible magazine malfunctions.

Agreed. The 30-rd AK mag is not the easiest or the fastest mag to change. Stick with the 10. Plus the gun is good as it is, other than maybe putting a scope that allows you to still use the sights.