In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

russian saiga ak rifle questions

auto436658auto436658 Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
i was thinking of getting a russian izhmash saiga ak rifle and had some questions...

are the receivers 1.6 milimeters thick stamped steel using a single sheet of steel instead of the multiple sheets of steel used by other ak rifles?

werent the russian ak-47 milled steel receivers also 1.6 millimeters thick as well?

how are the saiga ak rifles in comparison to other ak-47 rifles in terms of reliability, durability and accuracy?

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Saigas...a 7.62x39 and a 7.62x51...they are both excellent shooters, reliable, durable and still relatively inexpensive. If you are going to get one..do it soon as prices on this kind of stuff are rising fast due to the Obamanation of the USA!
    There are also high cap mags available for them now!
  • Options
    auto436658auto436658 Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are the receivers 1.6 milimeters thick like other russian ak-47 rifles and stamped steel using a single sheet of steel instead of the multiple sheets of steel used by other ak rifles?

quote:Originally posted by cryo9
    All mine measure 1.5 mm, which is quite thick for an AK. 1.0 being the 'norm' warsaw thickness. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say multiple layers of metal as NO ak made OR ever made has this.

who knows picked it up somewhere probably and thought that it sounded rather strange so i asked.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To be honest, I don't know, when I get home I will take a look at them.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The receiver on my 308 Saiga measures 1.5mm
  • Options
    cryo9cryo9 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All mine measure 1.5 mm, which is quite thick for an AK. 1.0 being the 'norm' warsaw thickness. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say multiple layers of metal as NO ak made OR ever made has this.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,228 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161
    I have two Saigas...a 7.62x39 and a 7.62x51...they are both excellent shooters, reliable, durable and still relatively inexpensive. If you are going to get one..do it soon as prices on this kind of stuff are rising fast due to the Obamanation of the USA!

are these the aks that take the single stack mags only? if so where can i get the hi cap mags for them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161

are these the aks that take the single stack mags only? if so where can i get the hi cap mags for them?

Surefire makes hi cap mags for the Saiga rifles. Do a search on the auction side for SAIGA SUREFIRE and you will come up with alot of options.
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get one with a milled receiver they are more percise stamped tend to pose much skill to have the barrel straight totally with the receiver many stamped have the rear sight go to the right stamped receivers tend to be more flexible that is if you run into a malfuction and have to hit it on a rock to get it to work stamped are said to cool faster to for what an AK goes for in the U.S.A. factory new (most tend to be recycled old parts with new receiver and barrel) buy a milled and don't look back *F.Y.I. the standard stamped is 1mm thick.
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgot to mention for reliability use only steel mags the bolts on most AKs seem not to grab too good on plactic or bakelight mags and get a 7.62x39 as parts seem more plentiful. Best to buy a used AK they tend to have horrible resale value.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saiga rifles will not accept "standard" AK magazines. You must purchase and use SAIGA made magazines - they run between $25 and $50.
  • Options
    Red_FlyRed_Fly Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in the process of converting a Saiga; conversion parts are easy to come by, as far as mags, you can install a bullet guide as well as file down the mag catch and you can use any AK type mag, as well as any Saiga mag (you have to smooth off the bullet guide on the front of the Saiga mag.
    I buy used Romanian and/or Belgium 30 rnd mags for about $9-$12 each. The trick on conversion is to keep it 922r compliant. This isn't a difficult thing to do.