In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weatherby Varmintmaster 22-250

hartlinejonhartlinejon Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I recently traded some work for a very nice Weatherby Varmintmaster 22-250. I acquired this rifle from the original owner and it is near mint condition for its age. He remembers purchasing the rifle sometime in the mid 70s and only firing it once. It is outfitted with a vintage weaver scope and has a beautiful oringinal wood monte carlo stock. I need to know what a good starting point will be as I want to sell this rifle to someone who will appreciate it. Thanks in advance, Jon

Comments

• Options
    cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the barrel and see if it was made in Germany (1958 thru 1969) or Japan. The real test vis a vis what its worth is Gun Broker,like todays "poll"its the only one that counts! [:)] very best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks cattle buyer, I just realized the importance of the country of origin. I am going to get the rifle in my possession today and I will post pix up later and also where it was made. I have already had about 10 private messages of people interested in this rifle so I will have all the info later tonight. Thanks, Jon
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, once you get it in your hands, get some clear, and up close and personal pictures of it. If you post it on the auction side, I am sure it will draw a lot more than just 10 or 20 looks.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok guys I have the rifle now it was made in Japan and the serial number is S00587, does anyone know how to post pics in these threads?
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    There is a sticky topic at the top of the page. It will tell you how to post pictures.

That rifle is somewhat rare, and to the right person it will be quite valuable. Lots of people will want it for a cheap price, but hold on for someone that really wants it.

Lots of people prefer the German made ones, but I think the Japanese ones shoot better.
  • Options
    cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had a few Varmintmasters over the years. One thing to consider with the 22-250 is that wheather Jap or German, shooters will pay more for the 26" barrels. I have heard from others that the Jap guns shoot better as stated above but I have found no noticable difference between the two. I currently have a 224 German rifle that shoots as good as a sporter should before the barrel heats up. Also remember a HUGE premium is paid for German made guns.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wbyvarmintmaster224wby2pw4.png

wbyvarmintmaster224wby5lt4.png

.224 Wby Mag./.22-250 Rem.
    224wby22250bbk9.png

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok guys, someone care to give me a good starting point! I am going to list this thing on the auction side today. Thanks in advance, Jon
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hartlinejon,

Without photographs it's a little more difficult to assess anything but if you just want a number to work with, figuring that the Japanese version is less desirable than the German version.

The last ones I've seen listed and sold elsewhere in the last two years were in the range of:

$750.00/used in o.k. shape
    $990.00/used in good shape
    $1150.00/used lightly in near perfect shape.

These prices seem to be a bit high for the Japanese version and a 22-250 Rem. They seem to be better suited to the .224 Weatherby Magnum but who can tell what a collector is willing to pay these days. I was trying to value mine before I decided that I wanted to keep it.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks alot nononsense, that was about in the range of what I was thinking we will see what happens. Jon