In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 carbine build continued - last time

Farmer BrownFarmer Brown Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Okay, thanks to the great advice on this board my shooter build is now together and functioning flawlessly! Can't wait to put a finish on it and put it into use! Re-locating (actually egging-out) the spring rod hole in the out-of-spec slide did the trick. Nice, smooth action now, and great feeding and ejecting.

After reading some of the suggestions, tonight I decided to check the alignment of the receiver to the barrel using two straight edges on the underside of the barreled receiver. I was off very slightly, and after several attempts I got it perfect. I actually had to back it off a bit. My question is, what keeps the alignment in place? I've built some AK's and variants, and they use a barrel pin that keeps everything in positive alignment. It looks like the M1 carbine could move over time and use. Mine was extremely tight, but through use I can see it moving. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carbine barrels, to my knowledge, are held in place by friction fit. As you said yours is "extremely tight".

This should be enough to hold it in place for a long time and a lot of shooting.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    When they put mine together the barrel was tightened too much like yours. I didn't have the op rod problem you had. Mine was I had the rear sight as far as it would go, then had to move it over in the dovetail to get it to shoot to point of aim. I bought the action wrench and barrel block and moved it back. It is still tight in the action. It looks like the barrel would have to be moved quite a bit to have it loose enough to cause problems.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peening revolver barrels at the shoulder is a legitimate means of tightening. You could also Make some shims out of steel shim stock.
    The barrel should not back off from firing.
    As you're not likely to wear the barrel out, you could Locktite it.