In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22. Marlin 60

WorkingzombieWorkingzombie Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Local gun store has about a half-dozen, used semi-auto, tube fed Marlins 60 .22's. Several have a metal trigger guard instead of plastic. Prices range from $75 to $100, based on condition. They seem like pretty nice .22's. I appreciate to hear opinions from owners about them. Would they make a worthy .22 to own, for the price?

Comments

• Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    theres a couple selling for 35.00 on the auction side...last time i looked today...
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About a year ago I picked up a new stainless with a composite stock for $159 plus FFL, and I just love it for P-Dog shooting. I have gone thru 2300 rounds.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Hard to beat the damn thing for the money. But realize that after a few thousand rounds you MAY have to clean it...one of the least jamming .22's Ive ever seen in my life at ANY price, honestly; they will shoot thousands of rounds w/o ever even having a whiff of Hoppes...grab a couple while you can...they make great truck knock about guns!...[^]

...Marlin's 882-883 in SS bolt action is a great little gun in .22mag for the money, surpisingly accurate...and I have always liked Marlins iron sites too...very easy to use and quick...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I LOVE my Marlin 60. The only thing is that mine will only cycle 40 grain, high velocity ammo. It's probably 40 years old and hasn't been shot much-I've only had it about a year and I've probably put more ammo through it in the last year than what's been shot through it for the past 39 years. Once I got the ammo figured out it's been very reliable and accurate. They are great rifles.
  • Options
    big truckerbig trucker Member Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good little gun, Just watch the older ones with the pot metal trigger guards. I bumped my old one when I slipped hunting and it broke like glass[;)]
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got one of the older ones - got it about 8 years ago at auction for $65 - put a plastic stock and a cheap 3-9x32 scope on it and it just plain shoots - very accurate out just past 100 yards or so. Mine, too, likes the high velocity 40 gr. - Rem. Thunderbolts cycle perfectly, also CCI Mini-Mags. Lighter Hypervelocity stuff like Stingers and the Aguila Extre are spotty performers.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    I for one am not a fan of the semi 22's. Bolts are far more reliable I have found.
  • Options
    WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I totally enjoy my 60, it's very accurate.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the Marlin 60 is actually the most popular rimfire rifle EVER MANUFACTURED, in terms of pure number of guns sold. If not, its one of them, with over 10,000,000 units made and sold over the last 45 years. That says something.

They're inexpensive, reliable, and accurate. That's pretty much all you really need to know. They don't have "match" triggers, but the trigger pulls are fine for ordinary use.

Worth it? Sure. If you want a reliable, but accurate "beater" gun, for hunting or plinking, they're tough to beat. Tubular magazine means high capacity, but no magazine to lose. Unfortunately, it also means that reloading is a little slow, but if you miss with the first 15 shots, chances are pretty good that the 16th shot wasn't going to "do it" for you!

A few tips: As mentioned, some of these won't reliably cycle slow ammo. Usually the high velocity stuff works 100%.

Over the years, there are a few variations out there in terms of finish and features. The earlier ones won't lock the slide back on the last shot. The later ones have a shorter barrel, and therefore a shorter tubular mag, so a bit lower capacity. The earlier ones have a 22" bbl, so a bit more capacity in the tubular mag (I think its 17+1 vs 14+1).

There were older ones manufactured under the "Glenfield" name for sporting goods and department stores. . .these are essentially the same gun.

Lastly, given their low cost, fixing a broken one may not be cost effective.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Glenfield" Model 60s had some possible quality issues during the few years they were manufactured. Either one is a great shooter. The Model 60 loves to be clean though. You can expect it jam after about 200 rounds, especially with cheap ammo. Quick cleaning and you're good to go.

I have 4 of these. One is on its fourth generation shooter and was my grandfather's. After each of us got involved in hunting and shooting, we were given our own Model 60s and this old one gets saved for the next generation.
  • Options
    10ring10ring Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First rifle I bought 30 years ago. Great gun and very accurate. Clean it every thousand or so and enjoy.