In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R Mod. 926 Date of Manufacture

Teejay9Teejay9 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hey Experts! Does anyone know the date of manufacture for an H&R mod.926, s/ 1385xx? Shoots .38 S&W, and is in "Fine" shape. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Teejay9

Comments

• Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 926 was made in the 1970's - there must be a letter code prefix to the serial number. That letter will determine the year of manufacture. All H&R handguns produced after 1940, will have a letter code 'PREFIX".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It has an "AP" prefix. I'm told that would make it 1977-78 vintage. It is in 99% condition with no holster wear, nearly all blue and the barrel looks like it's never been shot. Is there any real collector value? BTW, it's .38 s&w 5 shot. Teejay
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless there is some collectors interest because of the condition it's in? Not likely to have a high dollar value. .38 S & W is not the easiest ammo to get hold of nowadays, and expensive when you do find it.

I've run across a bunch of folks who don't even know the difference, between 38 S & W and .38 S & W Special. They get really irate trying to load a 38 Special cartridge in revolvers chambered for 38 S & W, when they don't fit.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tee,
    1978 is the year, .38S&W is the cartridge - good advice from rufe on the cartridge by the way - Winchester Super X, MagTech, Remington - all make this ammo - it tends to be a bit pricey slightly over 20 bucks for box of 50.
    Retail values on this model in excellent condition will run upwards of $220, depending upon your area of the country. Check out the ones sold at auction on this site.
    Nice shooting guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. It didn't cost that much but is tight and rugged, so I guess it's a shooter. It really is LNIB, so I'll choose my targets carefully. TJ