In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H & R .22 9 shot top break revolver

WorkingzombieWorkingzombie Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Newguns10-12-06005.jpg

Saw a H & R .22 9 shot top break revolver like the one in this photo at my local gun shop.

I held it, and though it's a bit odd looking, I kinda like it. Seems like it would be fun to have nine-shot, .22 revolver. It's used in good condition. He wants $135. Do you think that's a fair price? Does H&R make decent pistols?

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I paid $125.00 for mine a couple years ago, good shooter, and there isn't much that can go wrong with it. Buy it thy are fun,you can necer have to many .22 cal guns./ If you get it keep an eye on the rear sight, sometimes they loosen up and the blade will fall out.
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like an H@R sportsman mdl.999 I owned 2 of them 20 years ago. Great shooters, wish I still had them. Price sounds reasonable.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that's a 999 it's an older one. Mine was made in the 1970's and it has checkered grips.

$135 is a great price for a Model 999. It was H&R's top-of-the-line .22 revolver back in the day.

brier-49 is dead on about the rear sight. I've had the same experinece.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +2 on the rear sight coming loose. I have an H&R 999 top break I bought probably 25 years ago.

There are 2 screws, one on each side of the rear sight for adjusting windage. One of the screws came out on my gun and I lost the rear sight blade. H&R quickly replaced the parts.

Putting some semi-permanent loc-tite on the screw threads solved the problem.

I like the gun for its top-break design and 9 shot capacity.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely a good price! I paid a little more for mine, it's pretty old!
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a first model - probably pre 1940 and pre Model 999 designation. The one piece grip is non-standard or someone sanded the checkering off. One piece grip and curved RICE grip frame is typical for the First Model. If you supply the serial number found on the front of the grip strap, I can give you a rough idea of the variation and era of manufacture if there's no letter code or the exact year of manufacture and variation if there is a letter code.
    DON'T loose the rear sight blade - NO BODY has any left - it must be the most lost item on the Sportsman.
    Jim Hauff
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice piece, nice price! Ditto on the rear sight. Jim, if you look close, your warning may have been too late, looks like the rear blade may already be missing in the pic!
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim,
    Looks like you're right on the sight blade being missing. After rereading the posting, I'm not sure if this is the piece he's considering buying or a picture of a similar piece.
    What ever the case, you should post your experience with sight blade variations...just for GPI.
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim,
    My bad, after rereading the post, I now understand that the pic is of a piece like the one of which he speaks. The old processer doesn't comprehend too well sometimes!!
    I may post my trials and tribulations of the sight blade here, but you know me, once I start writing, I tend to get carried away!!!

Jim
  • Options
    WorkingzombieWorkingzombie Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the lever behind the trigger do?