In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 62 Buttplate Question

MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi Guys,
I've just picked up a Model 62, serial #2449. This rifle has a checkered steel buttplate. Sure looks like factory work to me. I cannot recall seeing these on 62's. My 1938 Model 62 is black composite. Does anyone have the story on these?

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Greg,

I don't have my copy of Schwing's book handy at the moment, but I do know that the early Model 61s had a flat checkered steel butt plate. It makes sense to me that the early Model 62s would have shared the same butt plate.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a first year model 62, and Bert is correct in his thinking. Checked steel buttplates were used on early models before changing to the composition buttplates.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, after consulting Ned Schwing's superb reference book, Winchester used the checkered steel butt plate from 1932 through early 1935. At some point in 1935 (May?), it was changed to the more common composition butt plate (circa serial number 20,000).
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys, for the information. I did manage to find the paragraph in "Volume 2" that addresses this steel buttplate, I overlooked it on the first attempt. My #2449 looks to be a 2nd month production rifle, and, just for the sake of sharing information, has the obvious "32" barrel understamp, and the rollmarked upper tang.

Greg