In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carry Gun?????

chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Been thinking about getting a carry gun. Never really owned one as just a carry piece, so I'm not sure what to get. Here is what I've been thinking about. Price range 250-400 used, maybe a little more if something really stood out. Semi in a 9mm or 40. I was looking at the Sig p225 police trades, I see you can get them for around 300, but was really leaning towards a 40 more. Any ideas????

THANKS

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You can't go wrong with a Sig. The 225 is the slimmest one made. With the 9mm ammo made now, you have about the same expansion as a 40.
    Whatever you get, go with a good name brand HP.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kahr is my choice for Carry. None slimmer, more reliable, or more compact in a big bore handgun.

I personally carry a P45 with the DLC finish, and I will carry nothing else.

No matter what you choose, it should be something you are comfortable with and can shoot well. Something that points naturally for you and is reliable. Sigs are fantastice weapons, although a bit bulky and heavy.

Word of advice, the 40S&W out of a small gun is a handful.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    You can't go wrong with a Sig. The 225 is the slimmest one made. With the 9mm ammo made now, you have about the same expansion as a 40.

These are good solid guns, but there have been reports of reliablity issues with non-ball ammo in the West German Police trade-in Sig 225s.

If that's the one you are after, I wouldn't assume that the "good" hollowpoint stuff actually works in these guns without actually trying it in your particular gun (preferably before you life is on the line).

And while ball 9mm isn't quite as bad as many make it out to be (and still probably better than hollowpoint .380, for example), I'd MUCH rather have a nice 9mm+P hollowpoint. Corbon makes a "Powerball" ammo that is basically a softpoint in a ball configuration, so this could be a solution here as well.

In general the biggest issue in carry is concealment.

You have to figure out how you are going to carry the gun first, and THEN see if your carry method imposes constraints on size and weight.

If you've never actually tried it, trying to go about your day to day business carrying a concealed service-sized automatic pistol may not be easy or comfortable, particularly with a heavy all-steel one. (It depends a lot on what exactly you do during the day, and what sort of clothes you wear). A lot of people just find this impractical.
    Lightweight alloy, or (better) polymer frames can make this a bit easier.

Are you going to carry on your waist? Inside or outside the belt? Shoulder holster? Pocket carry? These things are important because they potentially affect WHICH gun you can carry.

As a secondary matter, with that $400 budget, there are TONS of great guns to choose from (CZ, Ruger, Smith, etc). Personally, if I were inclined to go with a single-stack type semi-auto gun, I'd go for .45ACP (not 9mm).

If you are looking for pocket carry (or something else), then you become limited in terms of size and weight, and your selection goes WAY down in terms of number of models.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Corbon makes a round they call it DPX copper solid. 115gr +P 9mm. It's currently what I am looking to arm my glock. I dont own a 225 but many on this forum have been happy with them.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    XD40SC is my everywhere carry gun (except I go to a Beretta .32 Tomcat when I'm not carrying). Easy to carry, lightweight, have IWB holster w/extra mag. Eats any ammo-no jams/failures; .40S&W very comfortable to shoot. Also XD9SC in 9mm for more ammo capacity in identical size package.
  • Options
    milshootermilshooter Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters

These are good solid guns, but there have been reports of reliablity issues with non-ball ammo in the West German Police trade-in Sig 225s. <snip>

You have to figure out how you are going to carry the gun first, and THEN see if your carry method imposes constraints on size and weight.

If you've never actually tried it, trying to go about your day to day business carrying a concealed service-sized automatic pistol may not be easy or comfortable, <snip>

As a secondary matter, with that $400 budget, there are TONS of great guns to choose from (CZ, Ruger, Smith, etc). Personally, if I were inclined to go with a single-stack type semi-auto gun, I'd go for .45ACP (not 9mm).

All very good points. I used to carry a full-sized revolver and it got old very quickly. Now I have a Colt Defender which is single stack of 7 rounds + 1 in chamber. The barrel is 3". My biggest criteria in selection was caliber first - not price. I would not carry anything other than the .45 auto for self defense. But I am a "bigger" guy and can easily conceal in a belt holster or shoulder holster. The downside to my choice is price. The Defender is not cheap. I have a semi-custom belt holster on order from UBG (Ugly Bald Guy) Holsters. VERY nice retention holsters. With Crimson Trace laser grips and some (free!) work by Colt's custom shop, my Defender is a slick operator.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I'm just a skinny punk, so i carry a PM9 or an EMP9 as my primary guns.
    both are made in 40 cal and would be ideal for what you want.
    the only hangup would be the price. forget about the EMP40 for under $800, but the PM( used should be in the 400-$600 range. (i paid $500 for a NIB PM9 last year)
    glock has 40 cal in model 22 (sold mine- too big) and a 40 cal compact (27??) that s/b in your price range as well.
    JMHO
    tom
  • Options
    breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig 225 is a nice carry piece, I would get it in .40 myself, but it will weigh more. Also a Colt Commander in 38 super or 45. I still would personally advise a snub .38 stuffed with 158 grain wadcutter hollowpoints- cant be beat for reliability.