In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine fair price (Bobski)

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Partisan stated in his post that the carbine had a bayonet lug and I think all of these rifles did not have lugs on them until rebuild and with out pictures, part numbers, stock marking his is a rebuild.

Emmett

Comments

• Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Emmett Dunham- If you will refer to book of gun values you can read for yourself that the III run of these carbines DID have the bayonet lug. I don't mind criticizm in EXPERT opinions, but to state without doubt that this is a "rebuild" is not only wrong, but way to presumptious! Partisan
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ive won numerous M1 garands from CMP matches. these rebuilds were factory documented and paperwork accompanied the gun as rebuilt to SPECS. the guns being auctioned on CMP are DOCUMENTED rebuilds. they command very high premiums.

to pull a gun out of a closet and expect it to fetch the same DOCUMENTED premiums, is wishful thinking.

unless this gun is INSPECTED and given an appraisal, its all subject to speculation.

it may be worn out for all one may know.

reassembled and rebuilt are two different birds.[;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    Emmett Dunham- If you will refer to book of gun values you can read for yourself that the III run of these carbines DID have the bayonet lug. I don't mind criticizm in EXPERT opinions, but to state without doubt that this is a "rebuild" is not only wrong, but way to presumptious! Partisan

This is givette: You have determined (by examination of parts-ref. my previous post) that it's a correct paratroop carbine. Am I right in that assumption?

You can ask a starting price of $2500 if above paragraph is correct.
    Best, Joe
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is not an exact answer...but one of the biggest mistakes I ever made was selling my BEAUTIFUL Winchester M1 Carbine in 1964 for $50 dollars. In the early 60's NRA members were offered M1 carbines for $20...and by the way Government 45's (mostly Colt) for $16. I ordered the M1 and it came about one year later...brand new, packed in grease from the Tex-Arkana depot...a WINCHESTER!!! I thought I did great...I more than doubled my money!!! Thought you would find this bit of history interesting! Thanks for reading...
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting set of posts.

My understanding on para carbines is that they were all manufactured by Inland - am I wrong recalling they were made only for a certain period of time, not the entire duration of the war (Don't know why thought I read para carbines were made from Oct 42 to Oct 43 only?) and that no serial numbering exists for the para? Inland basically manufactured complete barrelled actions) and at their choosing, dropped some into para stocks and others into conventional stocks.

I have an early (10-42)Inland, L type rear sight, no bayo lug and thin barrel band which doesn't extend in front of retaining clip. Is there any reason why I could not purchase an authentic WWII para stock (last one I saw was all crapped up for $1,800.00) and drop in the otherwise correct Inland, creating what would by all appearances be an authentice issue para carbine? Further, if there are no limited dates of manufacture for the para, is there any reason why a rebuilt M1 could not be dropped into an authentic stock with the same result?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dfletcher, you are correct; Inland was the only manufacturer of the M1A1. Their first delivery was in November 1942, so your action may be appropriate for a "first contract" carbine if the serial number is > 42,000 & it is all original. But, finding wood in good condition with the correct low wood & "first contract" markings is just about impossible. Plus, the condition of the metal should match the condition of the wood, another difficult thing to do. If your carbine has the original wood now, you have a real gem.

I have seen a fair number of M1A1's offered for sale over the past several years, & I estimate 75% of them have serious "problems". This is a specialized area, & prices are high, so there is much temptation for the unscrupulous. Without examples to examine & good reference book, it's difficult to know what you are looking at.

Neal