In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need Help w/ Winchester Model 70 ( Pix Up )

JMcBJMcB Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello all,

A 1937 model 70 followed me home today. It has a smooth stock w/out checkering and a Stith mounted Lyman Alaskan. VO603586 is etched into the scope barrel and also lightly into the reciever.

Any possibility this may have been a military match gun? Any ideas?

Were there early models where the stock doesnt have checkering?

TIA...

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sniper scopes often had a number etched into the tube of the scope. And, the Lyman Alaskan was used by some snipers. It might be that you have come across a sniper rifle that was numbered to the scope. Hard to say wthout seeing pictures. Maybe you can post some and let some of the other members give you their opinions. It could also be, as you mention, a military match gun.

During the late 1930s, the Marines used the Lyman 5A, which was the improved Winchester A5. Winchester A5s, some of which had been in service since WWI, were still in use by the Marines at this time, and during WWII, also. When WWII broke out their primary sniper rifle was equipped with the Lyman A5. Late in the war, the Unertl was in use in the Pacific Theatre.
    What's next?
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll bet it is a California Drivers License number. My CDL is formatted exactly that way.
    Pete.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PJ
    I'll bet it is a California Drivers License number. My CDL is formatted exactly that way.
    Pete.

Could well be.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Kimi

I'll get some pics up.

DL# - that would suck! What idiot would do that. I like Kimi's idea better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JMcB
    Thanks, Kimi

I'll get some pics up.

DL# - that would suck! What idiot would do that. I like Kimi's idea better.

That's funny. The Marines used the Winchester Model 70 Heavy Barrel Bolt guns during my day, (1960 on), but they were usually equipped with the Lyman 20X Super Targetspots.

Here's some info from Madis:

Under Stocks: "With very few exceptions, all sporting rifles were checked..."

Under Barrels:

National Match Target Rifles were made with 24 inch barrels in calibers 30-'06 only. This model had a special Marksman Stock and other minor changes from standard. A Bull Gun target rifle with twenty-eight inch extra-heavy barrel was offered in calibers 30-06 and 300 H&H Magnum.

Standard Target rifles, most popular of the three target models, have marksman stocks, medium-heavy barrels twenty-four inches long, and was offered in all calibers except the 375 H&H Magnum. All three target rifles have adjustable front swivel bases.

EDIT AGAIN:

What is the length of the barrel?

Also, there should be some experts on the Model 70 that frequent this forum, so hopefully, one or more of them will speak-up.

JMCB: I'd say that you need to edit your topic to attract some Winchester Model 70 afficionados, for example: "Need help with Winchester Model 70 question".
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The numbers were roughly engraved on the scope and very lightly under the serial # on the reciever. The swivel bases are not adjustable. Barrel length from the reciever is 23-1/4"

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JMCB: Your rifle is not a military match gun. And, I have not been able to find where any Model 70's were used as sniper rifles during WWII, although the Lyman Alaskan scopes were used as sniper scopes. That said, you might have to settle with having a nice old Winchester that better fits PJ's description.
    What's next?