In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm RUM or 300 RUM?

ff.hogueff.hogue Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
i am going to be ordering a stiller predator action soon to start my custom rifle build. I am tore between 7mm RUM and 300RUM. I was wondering what the experts recomended? it is going to be built mostly deer and antelope hunting, but will hopefully take a few elk and caribu. I was leaning towards the 7mm over the 300 because the energy is about the same but the ballistics are better. What do you think? the action is going to Christensen Arms for ther Carbon Fiber Barrel and stock as soon as it is received. Thanks for your input in advance. Thomas

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ff.hogue,

You can argue both sides the 7mm vs .300 RUM until you're blue in the face and not have a definitive answer that favors one or the other in every single instance. You can make exceptions but that's it. Pick the one you like. I prefer the .300 RUM but that's my opinion.

Stiller makes a great action and you can't go wrong there. I don't support the choice of the carbon fiber barrels that Christensen Arms make. It is not the best product and they are not the best company. If you really have to have a carbon fiber barrel, call Advance Barrel Systems:

http://home.alltel.net/mdegerness/

Pick a good gunsmith, get your reloading gear in order and start getting components laid in for load testing. Remember, you need to find a scope, rings and base that have the quality to match the rifle and cartridge. A cheap scope is worthless for a rifle that recoils like the RUMs do, especially in a light configuration.

Best.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had you asked 6.5MM, 7MM or 300 RUM, our friend above(Nononsense) would have been tripped up when he seen the 6.5 in there.[:D]

As Nonsense has said, and you know, the Stiller action is awesome. I have had a SAKO 75 in 7 RUM, and it was an awesome performer, but Brass and factory loads especially were getting scarce. I have in route a Remington 700 Sendero SFII in 300 RUM. I will be putting a NightForce NXS 6.5-22X scope on it. It is hard to decide which one for what purpose, but the choice will be totally coincidental. You might even consider the 338 RUM......

EDIT:

ff.hogue,

If you looked at the link Nononsense provided, you can discover that for the utmost in accuracy and heat removal, that Christensen is not the only or the best name in the carbon fiber game. As for your Choices in scopes, if you go into the Ziess or Swarovski, you might as well spend the money for a NightForce. The VX-1 and the Bushnell, on that light of a heavy caliber gun, would be like tossing your money to the wind. That gun will wreck those scopes inside of 50 rounds. The 338 bullet would be of heavy enough construction that minimal expansion would be experienced, and no more damage to your anetlope would be done than either the 7 or 30 cal. The 338 you could use a shorter barrel too, as it will not be so grossly overbore.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i appreciate the info. 338 rum will rip my poor antelope up, and the ballistics take a bige dive from the 300. What is the problems with christiansen arms? i was considering the carbon wrapped barrel because of how hot the rum loads run, i have heard they are extremely hard on barrels, i was going to use a shilen blank and have it turned down. I was also interested in it because of the weight savings. This gun is going to be packed for miles upon miles of hiking so every ounce counts and the barrels are extremely light. Any other reccomendations? i know i will have to spend the money on a good scope, i thought about putting my burris black diamond on it but it is to heavy at 22 oz. looking into Zeiss and Swarovski right now, also possibly Leupold vx-l and Bushnell 6500.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,994 ******
    edited November -1
    i'd vote for the .30 just because it's SLIGHTLY lest over-bore and will give better barrel life.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well i made my order for the action even though i have not decided on a caliber yet, since it is not a barreled action and the bolt face and spacing is the same between the two rounds. with 3 months to wait for it, i think i will HOPEFULLY have decided on a caliber by the time i receive the action.