In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Folks knowledgeable about TEXAS armed security law

DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I've been solicited to bring some of my happy toys to the borderlands to act as armed security for a ranch. Pays well. I can carry around whatever I like.

Only problem is that the ranch owners lawyer is stating that liability exposure is too great, unless myself (and everyone else on the team) is a holder of a TX Guard Card.

I have to admit I'm puzzled. It's not public security, this is on private property. We're not transporting money or interfacing with anyone authority except those called out to "fetch" illegal trespassers.

We're not interfacing with the public in any form.

Anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check with Nunn he is the head moderator on the General Discussion forum. Being a lawman in Texas, he will probably have some knowledge regarding this. To me it's just a case of a lawyer covering his and his employers butt, in case of something happening. As long as your going to make big bucks from it, it will probably be worth your while getting a Texas guard card.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    What he means is that if your primary duties are security you have to be licensed as a security guard through the Texas Dept. of Public Safety.

I'd suggest going to their website for details of how to go about this.
  • DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked at the page.

However, it is filled with contradictions which do not pertain to our particular set of mission parameters.

One must "be employed" by a Security company THEN apply for the card, the application for which, requires pictures "in uniform"..."with shoulder patch". WTH? I'm not going to be wearing a uniform or shoulder patch.

It also requires 30 hours of classroom instruction and weapons training. I'll put my skill sets up against most rent-a-cops at the local mall, and can say with confidence I'd hold my own, if not excel beyond most.

Doesn't make much sense.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who do you think wrote the "Security" requirements? ---- It was the Security companies. YOU are the competition; they don't want you taking the food out their children's mouths.

As a TX resident, your potential employer is the one with the clout. He can walk into any state/local government office & get cooperation, you can't. If he can't do what is necessary, or is unwilling to pay his lawyer to do so, I think he doesn't really want to do this.

Neal
    edited November -1
    well said. I was thinking the same thing.

Lots of stuff in Texas doesn't make much sense to me.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    As long as you are on your own property or property under your control, as you would be on your employer's property, you can be armed as long as your employer says you can. If you want to be a "security guard," or a "personal protection agent," you will have to jump through the hoops to be licensed. I have no idea what all is involved, having never been interested in private security.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    As long as you are on your own property or property under your control, as you would be on your employer's property, you can be armed as long as your employer says you can.That's true, unless armed security is the employee's primary duty. In that case they must be licensed.

Sounds to me like the OP needs to speak with a Texas attorney for advice. Placing yourself in such a potentially shaky civil/criminal position based upon internet board comments wouldn't be a smart move.
    edited November -1
    I don't live in Tejas and they have some pointless laws in many States.

It seems to me that the "requirements" are written so that cronied-up cops, ex-cops and folks who've done a bunch of mall cop training are the only ones who can get a license.

Like I said, I'd put my abilities up against most, and do pretty well.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DRP=AZ,

No one is questioning your abilities or capabilities. We are simply suggesting that you get a qualified legal opinion about the ramifications of those laws that seem to pertain to your potential situation.

As much as I despise being forced to use a lawyer to get questions answered, it does keep me working within the letter of the law when the laws are poorly worded or contradictory.

Good Luck with your pursuits!

Best.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Like I said, I'd put my abilities up against most, and do pretty well.

Well, just explain that to your potential employer, and all should be well. [;)]

There is a feller who sits in a shack on the parking lot of a local high school. He wears a uniform with a security guard patch and a Format Mode:security guard badge. He functions as a security guard.

He has never had any training or any certification as a security guard.
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not unusual (in South Texas) for the land owner to have a "guard" (person) at most gates where there is any nonranch traffic. These persons restrict access to those who should be allowed on the property.

Others (King Ranch, for example) actually have an "armed" security force who monitors the property. I have no knowledge about their credentials.

I agree with the recommendation to seek legal advice before accepting employment of this type. In addition, please seek professional legal advice on what conduct is and what is not allowed under the law, if you should decide to accept this employment. Do not accept information obtained here or from you employer. Get the facts yourself.