In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why not refinish and old gun?

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
From time to time I have asked about doing work to refinish old guns in the forum. It is always suggested to me that I not do anything beyond a gentle cleaning or required repairs.

To my way of thinking a run of the mill beat up shooter like an old lefever nitro special which is nothing special at all will probably end up in the trash in 20 years if its never fixed up.

So I ask whats to lose if I buy one of these every so often and do it over. Repoint the checkering, polish the receiver maybe reblue the barrels?

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your gun. Do what you want!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless it's some collectible, refinish it.

If it's a Fudd gun, it's always and forever gonna be a Fudd gun.

If it's a military antique, like a nice Enfield, Mauser, or US Mil rifle, turning it into some "backwoods holler" deer zapper is stupid and pointless and destroys any value the rifle might have had.

Likewise, to the extent that "they don't make 'em like that anymore" firearms in the tradition of Pinned and Recessed Smiths or Colt Revolvers, it's an abomination and the destruction of something which will never be replicated.

Some guy came in here once with a P&R Model 57, 4", .41 Mag and asked me to parkerize it and moly coat it OD Green....really.

I laughed in his face and he got all butthurt. I told him to give me that fine revolver and I'd go buy him a used Taurus and paint it whatever color he liked. Some folks "get it" and some folks don't.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest that you read the section in ATF P5300.4 that explains when it is necessary to have a gunsmith FFL.

And, be sure you can "buy low & sell high", something that may be difficult if you are talking about old lefevre nitro specials.

Neal
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two points:

Obviously refinishing a gun reduces its collectors value. This, of course, only applies if the gun actually HAS collectors value. If its a common "beater" or "shooter" no loss.

The next one (and maybe more important) is that having a gun professionally refinished usually costs more than the value added to the gun by refinishing it.

In other words, in most cases, refinishing doesn't make economic sense, and you may be better off just selling the worn gun and buying one like it with a nicer finish.

Edit: So adding these two things together, when DOES it make sense to refinish?

If you're doing it on a common "work" gun or "shooter", and you're doing it yourself at low cost, then go for it.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    There are reams written on this topic. I will only say that there is a big difference between refinishing and restoring.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:I suggest that you read the section in ATF P5300.4 that explains when it is necessary to have a gunsmith FFL.

agree, IF you are planning to re sell for a profit on a semi regular basis.
    if you buy a winchester 94 and refinish it, then decide you don't want it, you can sell it for whatever the market will bear.
    same as when i sell a python purchased 3 years ago for 50% more than i paid.
    i'm not selling on a regular basis, and I don't make a living at it.
    the letter of the law is very restrictive, but the reality is relatively loose.
    jmho
    tom
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many guns that have no collector value today, will have tomorrow, unless they have been refinished.
    30 years ago, no one though GI .45s would be collectible. Many were turned into "match guns, etc." Today they are worth "shooter value." Originals are bringing very good money.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am basicly a collector and normaly would not do any refinish work. Recently bought a fairly rare Stevens Little Krag .22 single shot bolt action boys rifle. Meal was realy nice. Wood was solid with no cracks but finish was realy trashed. I decided to go ahead and refinish the stock so it came closer to matching the conditionl of the metal. In my opinion the refinish did not hurt the value any more than the poor finish on the stock did. At least I am happy with it. On the other hand I have a Stevens Bisley Model .22 Target rifle that there are probably only 10 to 20 guns ever made. Gun had some modifications done to it back in the 1930's. This one I would never touch except for careful cleanig. Your gun, your choice. Do some stock refinishing on shooter grade guns of my own and for a friend and these guns are worth more refinished than the way they were.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No one here, I am sure will object if you want to practice on your bubbaing skills on your weapons. They were just merely suggesting to you, the condition in which they would be worth the most.

I will tell you, that this forum is a very educated one. I would not want to try to pass something for original that was not, especially if it were a collectable.

Best
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently appraised a collection dating from 1930s to '60s.. Heavily buffed S&W Schofields one nickeled, another reblued, 1900 Colt auto reblued, SAA Colts nickeled, reblued, Kentucky rifles refinished stocks, Bowie knives sharpened and polished. That's what collectors did back then. In this case reduced values 60-70% from had they been left as-is.