In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR Bolt Carrier

SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
Standard or chrome,which is better and why?

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen,
    After shooting my AR and having a few ejection problems, I discovered that the carrier key screws had become loose and the key was not tight on the carrier. Somewhere down the road someone had aparently not peened the screws when the key was installed. My question is does anyone know if there's a proper torque setting for these screws, and what is a perferred method for peening them so they won't come loose again. Thanks for any assistance.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to use about 3-5 ft-lb on those, and I use a very small chisel to stake them. A number punch, or center punch would work too. Remember to use RED lock-tite too.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've read that once those screws have worked loose, they won't hold even if tightened and staked properly. I don't know if this is right but I do know that is the case on bigger machinery. A little wear in the holes and no amount of tightening will hold it.