In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Follow Up to Winchester 1885 Thread.....

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=462617

OK, Just got off the phone and I feel like a major *. I have read Campells books (volumes 1 & 2) cover to cover and still did'nt get it. Bert has a steak dinner for 2 coming. As many of you know Bert is a leading expert on the model 1885 and just got home from another 2 weeks of work at the Cody firearms Museum. Here are the problems with this gun!

1. There should be no proof mark on a case colored frame.

2. case coloring is indeed "too tight" like 1873 man said (1873man is on another forum).

http://www.winchestercollector.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19237#19237

3. Barrel has no VP proof

4. Fore end metal should NOT be case colored.

5. Checkering is way wrong, too deep of V in stock, shouldnt be squared at bottom, the border should not go into the frame.

6. pistol grip cap has way too much wear for a new gun like that.

7. The butt plate is Waaay to shiney and looks like chrome.

8. the wood to metal fit at the lower tang is not "Winchester" tight.

I think I got it all and I am truly humbled by the wealth of knowledge. It is the difference between just being able to read about them and being able to handle them on a regular basis.

I also want to extend my appologies to the seller who may also have been ripped on this gun, If he is truly a man of his word he had no knowledge of what has happened.

If he did this and was trying to pass it off, then I hope I saved someone.

Thanks again Bert, and I hope many learn by my mistake. Todd

[here is the one from 1907 that shows Berts obserbations:
Proof marks on both frame and barrel in 1907 ( none when case colored)

IMG_5160.jpg
Marks on forearm from palm rest hitting it. (unless gun is mint you will find these on a scheutzen)
IMG_5163.jpg
Rounded checkering at grip cap. and good Winchester fitted cap.
IMG_5169.jpg
Checkering not extending into the frame, and darkened from age.
IMG_5152.jpg
Triangle checkering pattern when there is a palm rest.
IMG_5153.jpg
Nickle plating is not "mirror bright"
IMG_5171.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Todd,

Hopefully, it shoots as nice as it does look. We have all been where you are, and it is called on the learning curve. Sometimes it takes these little stumbles(or experiences', if you will) to give us enough light to learn from other peoples(like Bert) experience. I am sure this experience will help with your next purchase in this field.

At the very worst, you have a good platform, of which to build something special upon.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Todd,

Hopefully, it shoots as nice as it does look. We have all been where you are, and it is called on the learning curve. Sometimes it takes these little stumbles(or experiences', if you will) to give us enough light to learn from other peoples(like Bert) experience. I am sure this experience will help with your next purchase in this field.

At the very worst, you have a good platform, of which to build something special upon.

Best
    But I dont seem to get any smarter...[:D]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Todd,

Best
    But I dont seem to get any smarter...[:D]

Sure you did... I'll bet that you learned several things from this experience. However, and just to be sure that you do not make this same mistake again, I want you to type the following 100-times (no cheating with cut & paste) and post it...

I WILL NEVER EVER BUY A WINCHESTER MODEL 1885 AGAIN WITHOUT FIRST CONSULTING WITH BERT! [}:)][:D][}:)][:D][}:)][:D]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Todd,

I did go back to the original post, and look over the pictures on the auction really close, and noticed a few skeptical things. I edited my post, but I think it was to late, and you had clicked BIN. I am sorry as I didn't notice them right away and post them in my original post, but I am no expert like the few other's, and it took me a while for things like the no barrel proof, and the bright Turnbull type colors, to register. I apologize for that.

Best
  • Options
    Winchester 1912Winchester 1912 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Todd, are you obligated to buy this gun as it was misrepresented by an unknowing seller?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winchester 1912
    Todd, are you obligated to buy this gun as it was misrepresented by an unknowing seller?
    I got a 3 day inspection and spoke with the buyer on the phone before I clicked BIN. He knows that the gun is not right now, but Im not sure if he knew or not while he was selling. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bert, My check was not leaving this house until I spoke with you about this gun. Again, The best steak in the house and your favorite beverages pour all night for saving my * on this one.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cartod, I just bought mine from Bert, kinda saved on e-mails. He told me every single thing that was not original, and I bought it as a shooter. I believe Clouder has a Bert rifle too, maybe, if you ask real nice...
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hanging around Bert is just like hanging out with Mark Christian, sooner or later you'll own an 1885 or a Garand. Yeah, I have one of each.[:I]
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    When it comes to WINNIES

I believe GB ATE is quite enhanced with Bert and Pauline (By the way, where is she? Haven't seen her lately?)

Joe