In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

B.A.R. WWII

Duck HeadDuck Head Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I was watching some old War movies the other day and it seemed like the BAR fired with an open bolt. You know, the bolt was open until the trigger was pulled then it slammed home and fired. If true, wouldn't that be dumb with dirt being able to get in there?

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Open bolt guns run cooler and usually use less parts to function.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You were not seeing things. The BAR does fire from an open bolt. It was not designed to be a super accurate rifle but an infantry auto rifle used in the assault. It was a very effective gun at close to medium ranges and could deliver a greater volumn of fire than the Garand.

The BAR is great fun to shoot.

[img][/img]IMG_0005-1.jpg
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Open bolt also meant that you did not have a live round lying in a red hot chamber. Full auto with a 30-06 generates a LOT of heat, and can cause a "cook off" with a closed bolt gun. PS- the M60 machinegun is also open bolt.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone who carried one in war was a target.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I'm going to a machine gun shoot today and will have opportunity to fire one. Choices, choices. My short list is the BAR, a Thompson, or a German MG 42. Can't afford to shoot them all. When you pay by the round, machine guns get expensive QUICK. Which 2 would you choose?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have the choice, go with the BAR, and if they have a PKM, I would go there, or if no PKM, then the MG 42.

Best
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did the same thing you are going to a few years ago. Fired 25 rounds through a Maxim water cooled then same through an MG42.
    Unbelievable how soon it it was over with the MG42 compared to the Maxim. How the Germans ever kept enough ammo around is hard to figure.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I remember a vet of the pacific theatre told me that the japs got good enough with knee mortars to drop one on the squad BAR man by ear.. No body wanted to be near the BAR team, it was even worse for people with M1919s..

I have been told that they where very accurate off the bi-pod.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Due to heat, heavy and light machineguns, from the M2 .50 BMG to the M60 and the M240, fire from an open bolt. These guns generate lots of heat and having a live round sitting in their chamber after sustained full-auto fire is a very bad idea.

Up until recent times, most all submachineguns, including Thompsons, M3 'Greaseguns', Uzi's and MAC's also fired from an open bolt due to them also (primarily) intended for full-auto fire.

In relatively recent times, starting with the HK MP5, they began to be seen firing from a closed bolt for improved single shot accuracy..