In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Garand value?

El BangoEl Bango Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I just bought this rifle at a gunshow.The S/N is 19xxxxx.It is Springfield Armory.The barrel has a "4-47" mark on it that I was told was the year it was rebarreled.The stock has no cracks and has a"P" stamped under the grip.The hammer is marked as a W.R.A.,all therest of the parts are marked "SA".The bore is beautiful with deep crisp rifling.The older gent that I bought it from said that he and his son both acquired their weapons from the DCM in the early 70's but lost interest in shooting shortly thereafter.I am interested in the value of the M1 as I am going to sell it and don't know where to start.Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a post war rebuild. After the end of WWII tens of thousands of M1s went through rebuiding and over haul at depots all around the world. Sometimes you will find a stamping from the depot on the left side of the stock. 4-47 is the date the barrel was produced, the actual rebuild date could have been much later. DCM rifles bring a premium, but you need the release papers from the DOD and the box to realise the premium. Right now the CMP sells M1s in nice condition from $495 up to nearly a $1000 for higher grades. There are gauges to measure the wear of the bore and without those numbers it is hard to tell what kind of condition the barrel is actually in. Just off the top of my head I'm thinking a value of $600-$700.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    "The older gent that I bought it from said that he and his son both acquired their weapons from the DCM in the early 70's but lost interest in shooting shortly thereafter.I am interested in the value of the M1 as I am going to sell it and don't know where to start"

1. Start right here over at the auction side of Gunbroker.
    2. Begin the bidding at either one cent $.01, or what Mark C. said, or what youpaid for it (whichever is less). Do not use a hidden reserve. Many don't look at them.
    3. Get the DCM papers, or have CMP re-issue you a copy (small fee). You can contact them at http://odcmp.com
    4. Take many closeup pictures for the auction. One of each side, then several of the trigger/barrel/stock groups. Now, the pictures..you will need them for the auction. So, after you take the pictures for the auction, place them here first so we can see them (use a photo hosting site, like Photobucket. You can't directly transfer pictures to the forums.)

..if you take it to a firearms retailer, expect to get paid considerably less than what you can get at auction. Best, Joe