In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bakail .380 ???

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
never heard of this gun before today. went to a preview of an auction this weekend.
i know these are $300 pistols, but can't find any info on quality, durability etc.
anyone know about these?
thanks
tom

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only .380 Baikal pistol I'm familiar with, are the Russian commercial Makarovs that were imported in the 90's. It's easy to tell them from the military imports as they have adjustable rear sights, besides not being chambered for the standard Makarov cartridge.

My experience is that they are descent quality pistols. Both I worked on were very reliable. The chamber on the .380 wasn't machined correctly though. The ejected brass was bottlenecked and unreloadable.

They sold for just over $100 back in the 90's, but I've been seeing them sell for $200-$250 recently.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    thanks rufe,
    this one is new in box and does look like the makarov. i've seen some, used, in the $250 range. never shot one. i know alot of folks like the mak's, so maybe this is a "find" ???
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    thanks rufe,
    this one is new in box and does look like the makarov. i've seen some, used, in the $250 range. never shot one. i know alot of folks like the mak's, so maybe this is a "find" ???

They have gone up a lot in the last 10 years. Most when sold new came with a extra mag, cleaning rod and Russian Holster. Had a chance to buy one like that for $200 last year. $300 is kind of pushing it though, although all the different versions of the MAK have gone up in value, since the supply from Eastern Europe has dried up.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    would the model number on it happen to be IJ-70? If so, they are real reliable, and a cut above the Bersa's you see...or maybe two cuts.

Best
    edited November -1
    the model was I J 70-17a, or something close to that.
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This pistol is my carry-gun...it fits perfectly into my El Paso pancake holster made for a PPK Walther. I have found it to be very reliable...I own more expensive pistols...but this fits my small hand very well...it's not light...fairly hefty...seems to be fairly well made...has low recoil due to its weight.
    edited November -1
    well, bid on it at the auction today. started at $200. next bid was $350! i didn't bid anymore.[:I]
    edited November -1
    well, bid on it at the auction today. started at $200. next bid was $350! i didn't bid anymore.[:I]

$ 350, sounds like a bad case of auction fever to me. There not all that rare and valuable at this time. A lot of them came in during the 90's, before Slick Willie slammed the door on Russian handgun imports. The Russian commercial Makarovs with the adjustable sights are pretty much bottom of the barrel guns, as far as Makarov collectors are concerned with certain exceptions.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

$ 350, sounds like a bad case of auction fever to me. There not all that rare and valuable at this time. A lot of them came in during the 90's, before Slick Willie slammed the door on Russian handgun imports. The Russian commercial Makarovs with the adjustable sights are pretty much bottom of the barrel guns, as far as Makarov collectors are concerned with certain exceptions.

But...they run good, shoot accurately, and some are doublestack 12 round versions, and lastly are preban...nice still in some states.

Best
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still find these .380 MAKs for sale occasionally for about $200 but the usual selling price in my area is about $225-$250. A high capacity model normally brings about $50-75 more than the 8 round version. When an auction price jumps as fast as the one you saw, I suspect a shill bidder unless the auction is about to close.