In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beauty and The Beast-Photographs and text

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
No, there is no question but this is an answer to several members query as to the identity of the rifle in my signature.

It's named 'Mastodon' for the primary use of the cartridge for which it's chambered and for it's physical size. [}:)]

The gunmaker is M.K. Owen, Tennessee

Please note that this is a 4-bore double rifle, often used for elephant hunting because of the power. The lead bullets ran from approximately 1,500 to 2,000 grains, yielding a moderate muzzle velocity of approximately 1500 FPS from black powder. The original bore diameter was to 1.000" but is often found to measure 0.935 to 0.955" in older rifles. This cartridge utilizes hand turned, brass cases.

mkowenmastodon4borehamm.jpg

mkowenmastodon4borehammj.jpg

mkowenmastodon4borehammrs.jpg

mkowenmastodon4borehamm.jpg

mkowenmastodon4borehammk.jpg

Enjoy!

Best.

Comments

• Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting.
    I read an article about a guy who had a nice handy little 10 bore Nitro built and Hollands or Kynamco settled on Blue Dot powder for it, too.

Looks like the marking for 70 grains of Cordite is just kind of a nod to history. Is Cordite even made any more?
  • Options
    airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wonder who it kills worse? Not for the recoil-shy, I assume....
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    forgemonkey,

It weighs 25-1/2 lbs. unloaded.

It falls into that category of what I call 'crew-served'. Usually the bearer carries it until needed for the shot. My guess is that even bearers will draw the line at carrying this one too far or for too long...

These heavy double rifles are awkward in my opinion but shooting them is really a hoot! I had the great pleasure of shooting a 4-bore, 8-bore, .577 and a .470 NE all in one day a couple of years ago. The 4- and 8-bore will rock you all the way back onto your rear foot, nearly causing an unbalanced situation if you aren't prepared.

Best.

ADDED:

The Cordite engraving is indeed a 'nod to history' since it's no longer manufactured. I have photographs somewhere of the last factory to produce Cordite in Great Britain, I think. Interesting place nowadays.

Recoil is significant to say the least. You have to establish your shooting position and balance before making the shot. Your front foot is lifted off the ground by as a much as 18" while your are rocked backwards to finish on your rear foot with the rifle nearly vertical.

Best.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    nononsense.....what a great looking "cannon." Makes my shoulder hurt just looking at it! Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats gotta sting! Can you post a photo of one of the cartridges next to a modern cartridge so we can get an idea of the size?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense,

Truly a piece of art, and work of someone who loved what he done! It is a privilage to just have the knowledge you have provided us with this.

As always in your signature, there appears something extraordinary, usually a marvel of engineering and art combined. Often something on the cutting edge of technological advances, which we have no clue of.

We thank you for sharing your knowledge, and the willingness to teach who listen.

Best

CS8161,

If you look below the box of five cartridges, there is what appears to be a 22LR for size comparison.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Nononsense,

Truly a piece of art, and work of someone who loved what he done! It is a privilage to just have the knowledge you have provided us with this.

As always in your signature, there appears something extraordinary, usually a marvel of engineering and art combined. Often something on the cutting edge of technological advances, which we have no clue of.

We thank you for sharing your knowledge, and the willingness to teach who listen.

Best

CS8161,

If you look below the box of five cartridges, there is what appears to be a 22LR for size comparison.

Thanks, I didn't notice that!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow!...and I thought Hubels li'l cannon was a bit too big....

I have to admit I really do appreciate the fine work in that rifle though. Even if I never have the itch to touch it off.[:D]
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got any pictures of the muzzle? Maybe with a 12 ga double as a comparison?