In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mdl 1890 22 cal

small gaugesmall gauge Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
Ser # 4xxx, 85 to 90%, very very nice head to toe...now the question..original cal ( 22 short ) has been xxxx out and 22 long rifle restamped....makes me sad as this is the best I've ever seen so, anyone seen this done before and how much does it reduce value..

Comments

• Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, unfortunately frequently.
    Value reduction- Very big (original .22 LR in this area over $1k)
    Worthless to me, only good as a "shooter" (maybe $400 at most).
    And we really don't know what else was done to it (reblued etc)
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial number 4xxx tells me that it is a 1st Model 1890... the frame alone is worth $1500.

Yes, the remarked barrel is a big negative, but the pure rarity of an intact 1st Model 1890 drives the value up.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    As Bert has stated, this rifle still has a lot of value. The carrier has probably been modified to accept Long Rifle cartridges, too. If truly in high condition, the rifle should have the barrel & carrier replaced with original parts. These parts could cost as much as $1000, but could increase the value of this rifle double or triple. Please post a few pics,

Greg