In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

refinishing for a dealer?

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
One of the local shop owners in my area has seen some of my work with spray on finishes and heard that I might be getting into parkerizing. He told one of my buddies (the one who was showing off my handywork) that he might want me to do some for him and he wants to meet with me. Mind you that I've never done this money, just as a hobby.

Are there legal issues I should take into consideration before doing anything for him?

Also what is the going rate to parkerize long guns, pistol slides, etc.? I would obviously not want to charge too much, but would need to offset the cost and make it worth my time. And of course, I really want to have my ducks in a row before I meet with him.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would need an FFL, zoning approval for your location, keep a bound book, commercial insurance, etc ---- just like a dealer.

Neal
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    if the firearm is in your possession overnight, you will need an FFL.
    you are now engaged in business and will also need a tax #
  • Options
    badsbsnf81badsbsnf81 Member Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    If you work in his shop, you will not have to worry about the FFL. General rate of labor is in the 40-60 an hour vicinity
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to approach this proprietor and offer services for a certain period of time for a certain rate at his place of bus.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Is this going to be at your home or at the dealer's shop? If you are at home you'll need an FFL, business license, ect. and since chemicals are involved you'll need to provide documentation on exactly how they will be disposed of and who will be carting them away. If you are at the dealer's shop all of that becomes his concern.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Unless of course you worked at his location as his employee ... Make it easy for him - he does the supplies and equipment, pays you a (high) per hour rate.... no refinishing to do, you don't work, you don't get paid. You don't have to worry about ffl, zoning, extra tax accounting, etc - you just work there.

quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    You would need an FFL, zoning approval for your location, keep a bound book, commercial insurance, etc ---- just like a dealer.

Neal