In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1-A

otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I purchased this Springfield M1-A this week-end. It appears to have been shot very little if any. The seller said it had an H&R barrell and trigger. Is this stuff a big deal? Was $1500.00 a fair price for the gun?

Here are the serial numbers:
Springfield 1175XX
Barrell with rod locked: 7790186 TRW ZH
Barrell: HR 7790490 1-62-X
Rod: 7267064 TRW with a bigger 784 stamped over
Trigger: 7267030-HR-N
Hammer: 554600006.9-OM-N
Safety: Nothing
Thanks, Otter
[img][/img]M1-A.jpg
iM1-A_2.jpgmg]

Comments

• givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Question below. But first, answer my questions by editing your original post with the information I seek. Best way to prevent running out of reply allotment (we're only allowed ten replies on the Experts forum). Now, the questions..and I'll delete this after I see evidence of the success of this post.

First, break down the rifle into it's three primary groups.

What is the SerNo? (you can make the last two digits 'X's)
    What is marked on the top of the bolt?
    What, if any, stamping is visible on the barrel with the op-rod locked back?
    What markings on the op-rod?
    What markings on the trigger housing? Hammer? safety?
    What markings on the back of the magazine? (Very faint, hard to see)

I'm asking this, because due to the USGI stock, you may have an early one. Early M1A's are the 'cat's meow' due to the fact that most parts are military contract manufactured. Thanks, Joe

PS..$1500 is 'right in there' for a low mileage M1A, and is a steal if the parts described above are ex-military contract.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like M1 Garands prices for these vary greatly dependant on factors such as maching Serial # and condition.

The M1-a not valuable mostly shot out and the receivers in rough shape in cases were they were over used. From you picture and description that was not the situation.

You could go to the DCM site for additional information on pricing.
    These rifles are illegal in some states.
  • otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll have to get those serial numbers this evening.
    -Otter
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Like M1 Garands prices for these vary greatly dependant on factors such as maching Serial # and condition.

The M1-a not valuable mostly shot out and the receivers in rough shape in cases were they were over used. From you picture and description that was not the situation.

You could go to the DCM site for additional information on pricing.
    These rifles are illegal in some states.

You are talking about CMP M1 Garands here. The CMP has never stocked M14's..and they will never have civillian property (M1A's) in their inventory.

The M1A never saw military/combat service.

Unlike foreign equipment, US issued arms did not have any part, except the receiver, stamped with the gun's SerNo. No numbers to 'match'.

Just thought I'd clear the air on this little tidbit of information. Joe
  • Maximus4427Maximus4427 Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like an older M1A, it has a bayonet lug. A lot of these were bought shot a few times to make sure they work and put in the closet. Don't worry about the cost. If you like it then it was worth the price.[8D]
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H&R was one of the USGI contractors, so all USGI parts on an M1A are a big deal. Givette is steering you in the right direction.

Early in production SA Inc sold bare receivers, as well as complete rifles. You can phone them & find out which you have by giving them the SN. If yours left the factory as a complete rifle, you have a lifetime warranty on it.

You may want to look for a wood "selector filler" to glue into that ugly gap on the right side. Fred's Stocks used to have them.

In any case, I think you did just fine on the price.

Neal
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Looks like a nice early example and it has a real USGI M14 stock. The early rifles used a lot of M14 parts so an H&R barrel and trigger group would not be unusual. $1500 is quite fair if the barrel is in nice shape.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers

You may want to look for a wood "selector filler" to glue into that ugly gap on the right side. Fred's Stocks used to have them.

Have some fun - tack in Fulton Armory's phoney "full auto" switch. Drops right into the cutout, does absolutely nothing of course. Looks like the real thing and gets alot of attention at the range from the over 50 year old RangeMasters. [;)]
  • otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are the serial numbers:
    Springfield 1175XX
    Barrell with rod locked: 7790186 TRW ZH
    Barrell: HR 7790490 1-62-X
    Rod: 7267064 TRW with a bigger 784 stamped over
    Trigger: 7267030-HR-N
    Hammer: 554600006.9-OM-N
    Safety: Nothing

Thanks for help.
    -Otter
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It's a later serial number than I would have expected. The 7790186 is the bolt not the barrel and both the bolt and operating rod were produced by TRW, which makes them very desirable as far as quality is concerned.
    [img][/img]M1Abolt.jpg

The barrel was produced by H&R in January, 1962 and H&R made very good M14 barrels (it was their receivers that were junk!). The trigger housing is also H&R, the hammer was made by Winchester and the hammer may be unmarked OEM.

If the barrel gauges as good I think it is easily worth $1500.