In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WTK How to tell the difference on a TA01 trijicon?

jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I've got two TA01 Trijicon scopes, one calbrated to 800 yards, one to 1000 yards. How can i tell which TA01 i have?

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this a trick question?
    Shoot 'em.
    If you can't tell, what difference does it make?

Edit:

By the way, I don't think this question was quite phrased right.

The ACOG you refer to is a 4x sight intended for a .223 rifle with a compensated reticle that goes out to 800 yards. The one depicted below is for 800 yards.

Note that the reticle pattern itself is calibrated for ordinary military loads from ordinary military type guns (eg AR-15s). Its NOT calibrated for heavy match-type loads, which would be what you would want to use should you actually want to shoot that far with a .223.

The point is, that although technically the ACOG reticle pattern goes to 800yds, in practice a 4x fixed power scope like this one is really NOT intended for that kind of shooting.

TRTA01-3T.jpg

Even if you could deliberately hit anything at 800-1000 yards with your .223 (which is probably possible. . .with the right gun. . .AND the right ammo. . .AND a good shooter. . .AND ideal conditions. . .) by the time the bullet gets out that far its going to have roughly the same energy as a .22LR from the muzzle of a short barreled pistol.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a better question would be how many inches high at 100yds would each scope be?

Not a scope expert but I would guess the one that shoots higher on the target at 100yds is the one sighted at 1000yds. How many inches? I have no idea.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    I think a better question would be how many inches high at 100yds would each scope be?

Not a scope expert but I would guess the one that shoots higher on the target at 100yds is the one sighted at 1000yds. How many inches? I have no idea.

well Over 200" HEHE