In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700, 6 mm Mag.

BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
Picked up a Remington 700 in 6 mm. The caliber stamping on the barrel
is 6 mm Rem Mag, with the word Mag x'ed out. Anyone ever see one.
Barrel is factory.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have read about it. They originally renamed the .244 as 6mm Remington Magnum and then thought better of it and just left it 6mm Remington. I did not think any rifles with the Magnum stamp had made it into circulation, even struck out.
    Interesting.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen this stamping on an old 740/742 semiauto. One of the more knowledgeable Remington experts may give you more info. FYI that rifle is very likely one of the initial production run.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    YES...In the early 60's...the transition from the 244 to the 6mm had a "bump". This bump was called the 6mm MAG. There were several rifles...early 742 A's, 700's and I think 760's with 6mm MAG x'ed off.
    Apparently the decision was made to not call these MAG's after some of the barrels were previously stamped...and they were X'd off. I am not aware if any ever left the factory with 6mm MAG in tact. AT least, I have never seen one. These are becoming collectable!
  • Options
    badsbsnf81badsbsnf81 Member Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Someone at Remingtonsociety.com might have more information.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything rare generally has value.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BT99,

Hopefully good luck shines on you with this. It's a rare deal, much like the double stamped pennies that brought $6K each when they could be found. I thought someone was full of it until I saw a pic of one. I thought WTH?? That must've been a mistake or something. Never knew the real story.
    If you're a collector of curiosities hang on to it. If not, I'd definitely shop it around and find the right buyer before selling it. One of those could net you a 6mm Rem with all the trimmin's (and the right twist) and some money left over for powder and your favorite bullets.