In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beauty and the Beast Part II- photographs

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
There were a couple of other questions asked when I locked the original topic so I thought I would post a couple more photographs.

4boreammunitioncomparis.gif

4bore308win375flanged.jpg

mkowenmastodon4borehamm.jpg

mkowenmastodon4borehamm.jpg

That's the best I can do as far as comparisons are concerned.

These are fascinating firearms and the art will disappear with this generation unless something is done to bring it back. There is only one school teaching this in-depth but it's in Austria. If anyone is interested, the school is free and the instructors are terrific!

Best.

Comments

• Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is darn impressive. Thanks for the photo comparisions, that brings it home quite well!
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the pics. That is some beautiful wood [^]

Pel
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Very impressive, thanks.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I recall Pacmayr had quite a collection of double rifles, including a four bore. Seems I also recall one of their representatives at the NRA show in San Diego (circa mid 70's) saying they loaded for it but everyone said "uncle" at about 12 drams.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Wow! 16 drams of (FFF I assume) is 437.3gr in weight!

Stooopendous!

Folks: when you are seeing Dram Equivalent on a box of smokeless shells, you are being told what volume of BP would be needed (drams are a measurement of volume, not weight) to equal the same results exiting the muzzle as the shells you are buying. It's really archaic.

If the mfr's listed a 'dram equivalent' on a box of modern WSM, for arguements sake, the amount of volume in drams (read: dram equiv.) would be more than the case could hold!!

Anybody know why the old cases have a little ring on them? That's the fill mark (volume load) for back in the day. Colt .45's still do, and probably others. I know the .45 Gov't cases still do. Joe
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I can say is, WOW!
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess this is a rifle where "MOA" means "Minute of A**" marking where your butt hits the ground after you pull the trigger.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    Wow! 16 drams of (FFF I assume) is 437.3gr in weight!

Stooopendous!

Folks: when you are seeing Dram Equivalent on a box of smokeless shells, you are being told what volume of BP would be needed (drams are a measurement of volume, not weight) to equal the same results exiting the muzzle as the shells you are buying. It's really archaic.

If the mfr's listed a 'dram equivalent' on a box of modern WSM, for arguements sake, the amount of volume in drams (read: dram equiv.) would be more than the case could hold!!

Anybody know why the old cases have a little ring on them? That's the fill mark (volume load) for back in the day. Colt .45's still do, and probably others. I know the .45 Gov't cases still do. Joe

Givette,

You giving away your age![:D][:D] Cool thing to know though.

Thanks again nononsense The post on this and the pics are incredible. BTW, is that a 416 Remington, on the left of that .375 H&H and 4 bore?

Oh, and the Austrian School. I'm not doing anything right now. Perfect eyesight too.[;)]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

The cartridge comparison uses the .308 Win. (left), .375 H&H Magnum Flanged (middle) and the 4-Bore on the right.

As to the Gunsmithing school in Austria, here is the over view article:

http://members.chello.at/zafax/ger-ber2.htm

This is the Home Page for the Hoehere technische Bundeslehranstalt Ferlach (HTBL):

http://www.htl-ferlach.at/index.php?id=84&L=1

As I stated, the education is free. You would have to pay for room and board and materials. Other than that, I suggest a decent grounding in German in order to maximize the learning experience.

Best.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful piece - that 4 bore - just the same - count me out for shooting it - it's an experience I'll gladly live without!