In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got my eye on the 1885....

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
So what ya think? These sanford guns seem to do too much $$?

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=174960232

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cartod, from what I've seen of his collection, he collected mint condition examples, and it looks like they were kept that way.
    I'd like to see Bert's assessment of that one.
  • Options
    lendielendie Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With Bert H. bidding on it???[:D] Good luck. Dieter
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lendie
    With Bert H. bidding on it???[:D] Good luck. Dieter

I missed that, I guess that is his assessment! [:)]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Todd,

I have stopped bidding on the rifle, so go for it. I have the feeling that it is going to sell for a premium price

What I can tell you about the rifle is this... I personally had my hands on that rifle back in the Spring of 2003 (when it was still in the Peter & Patty Murray collection), and it truly is in near mint condition. The Murray's sold their entire collection over the course of several auctions (Rock Island Auction) back in April or August 2006. The seller's story about is at least partially bull poop.

The rifle was actually manufactured March 21st, 1911.

The brownish gunk on the breech block and in the action is Rig... that is what Peter Murray used to preserve his collection.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:This one was built in the next to last year of production -- 1919. A factory letter is not available.
    Bert, no letter?
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ALL of his firearms have been at a premium price.! There is no bargains to be had there.....Relatives are making fortune.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    quote:This one was built in the next to last year of production -- 1919. A factory letter is not available.
    Bert, no letter?

No, no letter... the serial number is slightly to high. I used the Polishing Room Serialization Records to determine the DOM.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will say that most of the items in their auctions have been selling on the high side. However, they do appear to be in real minty condition. Especially the Winchester's.

Best
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rear sight is primo and the rifle has a single set trigger.
    If you have the budget and like the caliber I'd go for it.
    The Rig would come out and I'd be rolling some paper patched bullets for it.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yahoo Cartod!!![8D]