In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1890 winchester gunsmith search

cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
can anyone recomend a gunsmith that can do barrel fitting on 1890 winchesters? thanx

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cody 45,

Any competant, full service gunsmith should be able to fit a barrel to your 1890 Winchester. it is no different than fitting the barrel to any other type of reciever.

Best
  • martinicadetmartinicadet Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest you have it relined, that keeps the original Winchester barrel markings and retains the collector value of the gun. Redman in Washington state makes and installs liners
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by martinicadet
    I would suggest you have it relined, that keeps the original Winchester barrel markings and retains the collector value of the gun. Redman in Washington state makes and installs liners

I have relined 3 of these 1890's (and one 1873 Win.) and used them for several years, when I eventually sold them, I can tell you for a fact that a relined barrel does not retain its collectors value. Most dealers and interested people did not even ask the price once they knew it was relined, they plain old did not want it at all. The best way to keep collectors value on a shot out gun is to have it rebarreled and save the original barrel to replace when you decide to sell.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is Mike in Downey, California he sells the 06 rifles and is semi retired part time gun smith in a gun shop in Long Beach, his number 562 923 4367 after 7:00 PM Pacific.

Emmett