In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FFL?

trox32trox32 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
I sold a gun and the ffl that the buyer wants it shipped to says that they don't give copies of their ffl to non ffls.
I believe that it is alright if I only get there license number so I can run the check, am I correct?
Second I've never dealt with an ffl that wouldn't send a copy of their license, is there any reason to be suspicious?

Comments

• trox32trox32 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAVE ALL THE GUNS I BUY OFF THE INTERNET SENT TO A PAWN SHOP BY MY HOUSE..YESTERDAY THE LADY TOLD ME SHE WOULD SEND ALL OTHER GUNS BACK TO THE SHIPPERS UNLESS THEY SENT A COPY OF THERE FFL WITH SHIPMENT..DO I HAVE TO GET THEM TO SEND THERE FFL WITH GUN?OR JUST THERE RETURN ADDRESS INFO WILL BE GOOD?OR SHOULD I GO FIND SOMEONE ELSE AND TELL HER TO BITE ME?THANKS,BRIAN!
    edited November -1
    Is the fflkit or other help products worth getting or should one just go about the proccess without these aids.
    Scott-
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking of getting an FFL. I just want to save money on my own gun purchases which will only be 1 OR 2 here and thier. Do you guys think it's worth the process and the expense. And how tuff is it to get one?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, and I have been a dealer for about 30 years, these so called FFL kits are a waste of money for the buyer and easy cash for the guys peddling them. You can obtain all of the needed application forms for free from the BATFE, the ATF also has it's own website with a FAQ section that covers 99% of all filing questions you might have and of course you can come here and ask any questions you need answered for free (although I'll be happy to accept gratuities [;)]) Some of the kits include little things like how to become a Class 3 dealer and start selling machine guns, but all of that info is available on the ATF site. Other kits provide you with lists of wholesales but you can do a search online and find the same information.

I say keep your money.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +100 for what Mark said. Keep your money.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Waste of money, the ATF will send you everything you need free. Fill it out and then send them some money.
  • delsouldelsoul Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wast of money. I just got my FFL for a home based gun sales biz and used all the forms and finger print cards from the BATF. ATF agent came to my home and was no problem. Had all my business documents and legal stuff on the table and gun safe open.

-Mike
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, "getting an FFL" is just one small part of a much larger project properly called "establishing a business buying & selling firearms". If what you really have in mind is getting an FFL so that you can buy your own guns at wholesale prices, forget about it; you cannot get an FFL if that is what you are planning.

The one area where you are on your own is determining your local tax, licensing, & zoning requirements. (Neither the kits nor ATF will help you with this.) There are 3,000 counties, plus countless municipalities, in the US; there is no single source of information about all of them. The most difficult requirement is proving to ATF that a firearms business in your home (or where ever) is permitted by zoning rules; YOU have find out if you are compliant, or if there is no need to comply, & get that in writing.

Neal