In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CZ527 in 7.62x39

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
Anybody have experience with one of these. Thinking of getting one. How do you like it?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    A simply great little carbine. The set trigger really has no place on a hunting rifle but other than that I find it hard to fault.
    [img][/img]CZ5277624.jpg
    [img][/img]CZ527.jpg
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will this run the Russian military type (eg Wolf, Bear, etc) steel case ammo OK?

Edit:
    Answered my own question.
    According to CZ-USA, this is OK.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great rifle. Try it, you will like it. I can't tell you anything about the Russian ammunition.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't own one but have used, I do have a bunch of CZs including a 527 in 223. All CZs I've owned/shot are accurate, so I don't think you'll have any issue there. My two gripes on the 527 (and 550) are the trigger and single stack mag.

The trigger has a single set capability & that's fine, but because of that capability the trigger's design gives it a slightly soft feel in regular mode. It can be adjusted pretty well, but a nice crisp release is lacking, I think.

The single stack mag means you have to remove the mag to load it - can't press in a few rounds through the top. And since it's a Mauser design shooting single rounds without picking them up from the mag doesn't work, at least it doesn't on mine when I want to plink off a bench.

Pretty much none of this matters, I think, on this gun if it's going to be used in the field. Overall I think it's a great gun, it's been on my "buy next" list for a while.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting gun, I bought it because of the caliber and rifle weight. Still experimenting with 7.62x39 hand loads in .308 dia. Of course you can shoot cheap millitary ammo, and reload the .310 bullet. Barrel is short, handy but loud so much so you require hearing protection when hunting as well as the range. It is a mauser action (scaled down) so it is accurate and reliable.Scope bases are forged with the receiver, large positive mauser type extractor and extractor stop, (pay attention here Sav/Rem), not a wimpy swing up latch to strike the cartridge base, but a positive cartridge bolt stop. Set trigger is useful. Safety is in traditional mauser place with a raised thumb lever to allow left/right hand operation forward/back motion. Magazine extends down below stock and although larger capacity than normal does conflict with your hand/arm when carrying. JP Calhoon makes a solid steel mag filler that takes care of that and gives you a two round capacity, also you can purchase detachable mounts from him. Iron sights are robust/adjustable but sight plane distance is short due to short barrel. I installed a sako receiver sight on the rear block, works great detachable. Scope I have on is 3x9 return/zero detachable.
    As stated gun is light/handy/quick, I still have not yet developed to my satisfaction the best reload/bullet configuration with the 7.62.
    Hope I Help
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At a gun show, I traded a Norinco 9mm UZI carbine, which I had customized to get working satisfactorily, for a Ruger Mini-30 in 7.62X39mm equipped with a muzzle brake. I didn't really care for the Mini-30 but the guy tried trading with the gun dealers at the show for a new Norinco UZI carbine. All I can say about the Norinco UZI is that they can be made to work - lots of work. Anyway, I talked with the guy and told him I had one and he was interested and we met at my house and traded (Mini-30 plus 3 (30 round clips) for my custom Norinco UZI plus old stock, extra clips that work, accessories that came with the UZI). I even tried talking him out of trading because basically he would end up with a 9mm carbine. That was two years ago, so maybe he was satisfied with the Norinco UZI.

Anyway, I took the Mini-30 apart, cleaned it thoroughly, and Flitzed the barrel with a tight fitting Ox-Bow Jag and butterfly patches coated with Flitz polish. Found loading data in the 1991 Gun Digest and used the IMR 4198 loads with Sierra and Nosler 125 grain bullets. I have met people over the years who tell me they are still looking for an accurate Mini 14/30. So I didn't expect much in the way of accuracy. It was whitetail deer season, so I took the Mini-30 rifle to our Texas lease along with my deer hunting rifle. It was windy so windy that I and the lease manager moved our shooting bench behind the ranch house to block out the wind. Our usual shooting range is 100 yards but on that day we made due with an improvised 80 yards. The Mini-30 had an old Bushnell Scope Chief with high contrast lenses mounted on it. It ended up shooting consistent 5 shot 0.75 inch groups with the Nosler and 1.00 inch groups with the Sierra from the bench balancing the Mini-30 on its 20 round magazine loaded with five cartridges. Note I do alot of case preparation when loading but this accuracy level was very unexpected.

Later on I had a gunsmith open the bolt on a 223 Ruger 77 MkII stainless, rebarrel it with a Shilen Match Select barrel chambered for 0.308 version of the 7.62X39mm, free float the barrel, and contacted Ruger who supplied the magazine box and follower to get it feeding correctly. The rifle shoots the Sierra 125's better than Nosler 125's (5 shots 0.75" at 100 yards) using the same IMR 4198 loads used in the Mini-30. It can probably do better but it's good enough for me.

So look in the 1991 Gun Digest article on page 54 titled "The Mini-Thirty . . . Another 30-Caliber Success" for recommend loading data.
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the CZ527 more accurate than an AK-47 right out of the box?
    What kind of accuracy can one expect with commercially loaded ammo right out of the box?