In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best way to find a Ruger Deerfield part ?

silverplatedsilverplated Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello,
I recently acquired a Ruger Deerfield which is missing the trigger housing screw (part # CS04800). I have tried the usual routes recommended by Ruger & others to locate this part, including a post here
in the G.B. wanted forum without success. If anyone has a suggestion how this part may be obtained including replicating it a machine shop, etc I would be most grateful. Thanks for your help. - Charles.

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, you think that was made out of unobtanium. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/841606/ruger-trigger-housing-screw-ruger-99-44-deerfield-carbine

I would bet it would be faster to make one. It is a shanked screw so you will need to start with and oversize bolt. Is yours broken or missing. If broken you could drill and tap the shank and install a new threaded section. Making one from scratch will be a harder, be nice if someone could measure the screw.

ruger%20deerfield_zps3xsqk7yz.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello folks,
    I have tried the Numrich, Jack first, Brownell, Midway & Ruger sources without success. Midway comes closest, but evidently unobtanium cannot even be photographed. If a local Deerfield were to be borrowed, the screw could be removed in abt 5 sec, and I'm sure a machine shop could replicate it in 5 mins or less. Aside from that, I may have found a local Gunsmith that can make it for me. Your suggestions & wisdom are VERY MUCH appreciated. Many thanks for your help !! - Charles
  • Options
    Wease01Wease01 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to contact these folks. Great people to deal with.

http://gungaragegunparts.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Emailed Gun Garage and am awaiting a reply, thanks for the tip !! - Charles.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st. choice:I suggest Western Gun Parts in Edmonton. You will probably have to Google their site to get the phone number. Have the Ruger part number when you call.
    2nd choice: 'Location Snapshot Ruger'. ca or com. They are in Montreal, I think.They are the Canadian Ruger parts people. When you call them have the Ruger part# on hand....
    Quite sure both places ship internationally.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Deerhide,
    Western Parts does not have the part, and snapshot Ruger is no longer in the firearms trade - they are now moviemakers. They do seem to have good info for parts manuals & serial # info, though. I'm a bit dissapointed in Ruger's lack of support for a product only 9 years or so after it was dropped from their line. I asked Ruger if they could supply a blueprint - no. Asked if they could loan me the part to have it copied - no. Asked if they could ask any deerfield owners they know of to contact me - no. Asked if they could take the screw off of a museum deerfield & have them or have me have it machined. - no. Their attitude regarding this product, and perhaps others like it is simply this: "it is discontinued, we do not have parts for it, and we do not repair it" I guess there's about as much profit in keeping a gun working forever as in manufacturing an auto that never wears out. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but it seems if they were interested in building brand loyalty they might be just a little more proactive in adressing costomer's needs. Thank you, Deerhide your help is very much appreciated. Best Regards to you & the eternal land of Sgt. Preston. Charles.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is someone on {elsewhere} buying broken Deerfields, 99/44, 96/44, etc to build a parts rifle. He may have a spare screw he would be willing to part with.

They edited the site out. Do a search for Ruger 99/44 parts and it should come up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OOPS ! Apologies to my Canadian friend Deerhide. Don't know where or what I was looking at this morning. Maybe too much caffiene. Anyway, "Location Snap Shots inc" is still in business in Canada. They DO have some Ruger parts, but not mine. Their web is snapshotsguns.com Their contact # is (450) 427-0052. Their email is: snapshots@videotron.ca. "Carol" assisted me with much patience, courtesy & kindness. This may be the last, best resort for disc Ruger parts. Deerhide + others, I Thank you all!!!. - Charles.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you tried the Ruger Collectors Association & the various Ruger forums? On one of the Ruger forums I go to there is a gunsmith that goes by the handle Iowegan that can probably help you. He was a big Ruger gunsmith.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.rugerforum.com